Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

Pensacola Ice Flyers enter busy month as new season awaits

Pensacola Ice Flyers enter busy month as new season awaits
By Eric J. Wallace - News Journal

Pensacola Ice Flyers owner Greg Harris spent the past couple weeks in his native Canada, visiting friends and family, but with work never too far away.

“Like I tell everybody, I really don’t take vacations… I just work from another location,” he said laughing.

He is set to begin on Monday the long trek back to Pensacola in his trusty car, a drive of more than 1,700 miles that takes several days to complete, depending on where he begins the journey. But it’s always a productive summer break, minus the heat, whenever Harris visits the mid-Canadian provinces where he grew up.

“I can be sitting on a pontoon boat on a lake in Saskatchewan with my laptop, with my phone, and answering emails,” he said, chuckling. “I’m always continuing to work with our corporate sponsors and my staff.”

These next weeks begin the ramp-up to the Ice Flyers’ next season. The team announced its schedule last week, highlighted by the fact the Ice Flyers will begin the season at home (Oct. 18-19 vs. Roanoke) and end it at home (April 3-4 vs. Birmingham). They will play 14 Saturdays at home, nine Fridays and will play twice at home during the Christmas-New Years week (Dec. 26 and 28th).

It’s one of many parts of a new season Harris has helped to handle.

Read more at: https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/2019/07/06/pensacola-ice-flyers-enter-busy-month-new-season-awaits/1666832001/

Holy cow! The SP is going back to the traditional playoff format.  Is this article the first mention of that fact or did I miss the press release from the league?  Also, the home team will now wear dark jersey's and white on the road.  I don't think I ever paid much attention to what colors the jerseys were in the past but I guess this is a new thing.  Note to the author of the article- I don't think anyone will be "possibly joining Brian Billet in goal" this year. I'm pretty sure Billett announced his retirement.

• Thanks 1

Good catch! Guess I shoulda read the whole article.

Discussion started in the SPHL League forum.

Posted (edited)

Vilona, while extremely nice, has always needed a fact checking department. The whole of the PNJ does actually ... always.

I'm not sure when they'll wear dark at home. That's already done for part of the season (and the reverse for the other part) so I'm assuming that's for the playoffs.

Edited by Geoff

9 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

Holy cow! The SP is going back to the traditional playoff format.  Is this article the first mention of that fact or did I miss the press release from the league?  Also, the home team will now wear dark jersey's and white on the road.  I don't think I ever paid much attention to what colors the jerseys were in the past but I guess this is a new thing.  Note to the author of the article- I don't think anyone will be "possibly joining Brian Billet in goal" this year. I'm pretty sure Billett announced his retirement.

They use to wear the white at home for half the season.  Sometime in January they switch and start wearing the dark jerseys at home.  So not sure what the change is unless they only plan on wearing one jersey at home from now on.

27 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

They use to wear the white at home for half the season.  Sometime in January they switch and start wearing the dark jerseys at home.  So not sure what the change is unless they only plan on wearing one jersey at home from now on.

I think they mean dark jerseys at home the first half of the season instead of white. 🤷‍♂️