Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

MacGuy

League changes to Playoff format and home jerseys

According to the Pensacola News Journal article "Pensacola Ice Flyers enter busy month as new season awaits":

There are a couple significant changes for the season, agreed upon the Southern Professional Hockey League owners. The first is a return to the past playoff format where the first-place team in the regular season automatically is pared against the eighth place finisher. Then No. 2 vs. No. 7 and down the line.

The past two years, the SPHL post-season featured an opening, “Challenger Round” where the top three seeded teams got to choose their first round opponents in a selection format on Sunday after the regular-season ended.

“It was cool to try, the fans loved it,” [Pensacola Ice Flyers owner Greg] Harris said. “And it was great to see how the matchups evolved.. But after we got together and some of our thoughts and feedback, we wanted to go back to traditional playoff structure.”

The other change is home teams will now wear dark jerseys and white jerseys when on the road.

“We wanted to adopt what the NHL teams have been doing for years, wearing dark jerseys at home,” Harris said.

• Like 1

Not a fan of either of these changes. Was a critic of the challenge round, but a traditional format is worse. The jersey rule I'm assuming refers to the playoffs only, as the regular season already uses a halfway reversal date, but the SPHL is one of the only leagues to revert to white for the playoffs.

How exactly is the traditional format worse?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Geoff said:

How exactly is the traditional format worse?

It takes away an advantage from the best teams, albeit a small one. A league such as this with short series and constantly fluctuating rosters breeds a lot of upsets and renders the regular season less important. I've argued to give the best teams even greater advantage than the challenge round in the article below. One idea is merely a slight tweak to the traditional format but it's a very important change.

https://busleaguehockey.com/2019/03/18/guest-post-two-suggestions-for-a-new-sphl-playoff-format/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

While your first proposal is interesting, it would never happen in the SPHL without baking in some sort of financial compensation from the top seed(s). Example: There's no way anyone agrees to let Peoria stay home all playoffs without getting some hotel rooms paid for by the Rivermen.

The ladder intrigues me more and seems verrrry doable in the SPHL re: ice availability. Give those top seeds ample time to plan two rounds of ice, and the lower teams just have to worry about maybe one matchup at a time.

Edited by YELDARBfield

This hurts Peoria the most as they won’t be able to pick Roanoke every year. I’m glad that ended the challenge round it was silly to begin with and I’m happy to see different teams play each other. 

4 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

This hurts Peoria the most as they won’t be able to pick Roanoke every year. I’m glad that ended the challenge round it was silly to begin with and I’m happy to see different teams play each other. 

How did that work out for them this past season?

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

Watch us match up in the playoffs again this year when Peoria could have had a challenge pick and avoided us.

Edited by Theoriginalalex
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vicvegas said:

How did that work out for them this past season?

I am forgetful. I want to say that Roanoke swept those goobers. 

3 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

Watch us match up in the playoffs again this year when Peoria could have had a challenge pick and avoided us.

That will probably happen, haha.