Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Make Marky GM

Rule changes for 2019/20 in the SP

Posted (edited)

I just listened to the Sin Bin podcast with Commissioner Price. 2 rule changes of note.  Teams will be allowed a 20 man roster in the playoffs. This will allow teams to keep a recently signed ATO on the roster for the playoffs. Change 2 teams will no longer have to play short when a player has been suspended.  

Other comments of note. No change to the salary cap for the 2019/20 season and the owners/league have had no discussions of the future use of video replay to reverse officials calls. 

Edited by JMC-STL
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I know there is a maximum salary they can pay each week ($5600 for entire team I believe). Anyone know if there is a MINIMUM per player they have to pay? I have been shocked by how little some players have agreed to play for.

4 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

... Anyone know if there is a MINIMUM per player they have to pay? I have been shocked by how little some players have agreed to play for.

Check your prevailing state minimum wage laws.

Considering they don't "punch a clock", I would think figuring out an hourly wage would be difficult. I was just curious. Guess some players will agree to less pay and take into account the other benefits of playing along with the opportunity to get scouted by higher leagues.

2 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Considering they don't "punch a clock", I would think figuring out an hourly wage would be difficult. ...

You're right, of course.  Hockey players save their punching for the game.  :nhl_fight:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

I know there is a maximum salary they can pay each week ($5600 for entire team I believe). Anyone know if there is a MINIMUM per player they have to pay? I have been shocked by how little some players have agreed to play for.

I found an article online written in March 2018 that the minimum per week for a player in the ECHL was $500.  So far I can't find any mention of a minimum in the SP.  Some players in the SP would play just for a real bed to sleep on.:laughing:

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, Make Marky GM said:

I just listened to the Sin Bin podcast with Commissioner Price.

ICYMI

13 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

I am pretty sure I heard somewhere the league minimum was $250 a week.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Wrong 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

If you know of any players making less than league minimum, you should report this to the league.  Doug Price at the league office definitely needs to know about this.  

It’d be hard to pay guys under the minimum though, since every single contract that players sign, must be turned in to league, once executed, prior to that player even stepping on the ice 1 time.  Those contracts state the exact salary of that particular player. 

So unless the team was paying something different than what the contract says, it would be really hard to break the rule.  And guys know exactly what they get paid.  They will not sign for one amount, yet accept something less.  

Edited by MarksmenOwner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vicvegas said:

I am pretty sure I heard somewhere the league minimum was $250 a week.

10 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Hmmm...some players have said they didn't make that, sooooo.....

Must be lower, then.  We should start a pool.  Closest to the right answer gets a chance to practice with the team AND clean up the locker room afterward.  :hellno:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Makes sense! The maximum is known, but I was referring to the minimum, if there was one specifically.

There is a league minimum.  

57 minutes ago, MarksmenOwner said:

There is a league minimum.  

One of several things it would be nice to see in writing - like the Vet rule, so they can be looked up as needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MacGuy said:

One of several things it would be nice to see in writing - like the Vet rule, so they can be looked up as needed.

The SPHL - being a privately owned business entity - gets to pick what details of that business they keep private (as long as it's all legal, of course).  Many of the details fans would love to know are crucial to the League's and the individual teams' competitiveness.

4 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Are you one of the four out of five doctors that recommends hockey though???

One of those four is @hockeydoc.  He might even be all four of them.  He's an amazing guy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

I'm not a doctor.  I just play one on TV.   tv_horror.gif

I am a real doctor (though some may dispute) 👨‍⚕️

2 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

One of those four is @hockeydoc.  He might even be all four of them.  He's an amazing guy.

I definitely recommend hockey. My co-workers in the ER say I go into withdrawal when the hockey season is over.  I'm round enough to be two, maybe 3 (I'm in shape- round is a shape)!😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I heard players in the FHL that make more than they would in the SPHL.

Edited by Knuckleballer

Posted (edited)

Is it all legit though? If it's under the table money, there are guys who allegedly make more in the SP than they would in the Coast.

Edited by Geoff

45 minutes ago, Knuckleballer said:

I heard players in the FHL that make more than they would in the SPHL.

I don't doubt that at all, the disparity between the SPHL and FHL salary budgets isn't all that much so if a player is what passes for a star and is making top dollar there but is a bottom tier to mid pack SPHL I could definitely see them making more in the Fed.

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Is it all legit though? If it's under the table money, there are guys who allegedly make more in the SP than they would in the Coast.

I don't know about actually on paper making more but I talked to one of our guys who played in the ECHL quite a bit and he said that after you take away Union dues and a couple of other deductions (I think he said that they had to pay part of their insurance) he wasn't clearing but like $10 more a week in the ECHL and for the most part, with the E teams being in bigger markets, the cost of living was significantly higher so he was living better playing in the SPHL.

• Like 3