Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Make Marky GM

Rule changes for 2019/20 in the SP

13 hours ago, hockeydoc said:

I am a real doctor (though some may dispute) 👨‍⚕️ ...

@hockeydoc: As long as the boys in the room & your unconscious patients in the ER believe it, your secret is safe.  :ph34r_anim: 

14 hours ago, Knuckleballer said:

I heard players in the FHL that make more than they would in the SPHL.

All I can tell you is that the SPHL salary cap is $1,200 more a week.  SPHL $5,600 and FHL $4,400.  With FHL league minimum is less than the SPHL.  So FHL teams could be paying some players $175 a week which is the league minimum and paying others over $300 a week.  By salary cap you could pay each player $244 in the FHL if money was split up evenly.  So for each player who is making $175 there is $69 more for some other player who could be getting paid $313 a week.  So i'm pretty sure some could be making more, because SPHL minimum is around $200 if i'm not mistaken.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 10:52 AM, MarksmenOwner said:

There is a league minimum.  

So what the heck is it? That was her original question.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who told me in confidence that it's less than that.  But who really knows?  :huh:

• Haha 1

So here is another rule change......not officially annouced, except that some digging has made it come to surface....and a very well known source has gotten answers. 

Games played in the F(P)HL will be no longer counted towards the vet rule (most likely due to them changing to "Prospects"). As well as certain other leagues not being counted (leagues like Finland that Dion has played in). These rule changes will benefit Peoria the most, since it puts Cody Dion at 221 instead of 272 (he is now not a vet). Oskroba drops from 319 to 272, and Shipitsyn gets all his F(P)HL games wiped clean. Since Gurtler was released, he now can be signed back without exceeding the 900 gp limit, if he wants. If he does this could/would give Peoria 5 true vets with potentially only 3 counting towards it, but for the time being 2......so this may help some, but for some teams it won't help any, like Fayetteville with Hauswirth or Huntsville with Nutkevitch. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RapidFire19 said:

... These rule changes will benefit Peoria the most, since it puts Cody Dion at 221 instead of 272 (he is now not a vet).  Oskroba drops from 319 to 272 ...

Might wanna check your math, RF, or at least your "very well known source."  If Cody Dion's pro-game count gets to ignore his time in Finland AND in the FHL, he's even lower than 221.  And Oskroba's Elite Prospects profile shows zero games played in the FHL nor in any other hockey league considered a pro league; looks like he's legit @ 272 games. 

3 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

If this is an official change, you would THINK that the league would announce it! It is a total game changer for some rosters. Seems like some coaches had knowledge of it, even if it wasn't publicly stated. 🙄

Kind of like the opposite of when they changed the rule to prevent Swider and Sich from playing for Knoxville at the same time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

Might wanna check your math, RF, or at least your "very well known source."  If Cody Dion's pro-game count gets to ignore his time in Finland AND in the FHL, he's even lower than 221.  And Oskroba's Elite Prospects profile shows zero games played in the FHL nor in any other hockey league considered a pro league; looks like he's legit @ 272 games. 

Cody has seasons that are 204, 51, 47, 17 in pro leagues that you are adding together. Out of these you are then subtracting the 51 and 47. 

All 4 equal 319, then minus 47 (FHL) is 272, minus the 51 (Finland) makes 221. 

1 hour ago, RapidFire19 said:

Cody has seasons that are 204, 51, 47, 17 in pro leagues that you are adding together. Out of these you are then subtracting the 51 and 47. 

All 4 equal 319, then minus 47 (FHL) is 272, minus the 51 (Finland) makes 221. 

So you're sayin' my abacus is broke?  Figgers - just when the warranty expired.  :banghead:

It is true.  Talked to Mike Campos and he said Sin Bin will be writing an article about it soon.

And here it is:

SPHL Makes Change to Veteran Rule

Additional affected players include Roanoke's Justin Levac and all-time leading FPHL scorer, Ahmed Mahfouz.

SPHL Veteran Rules in a Nutshell

A veteran is defined as a player with at least four full SPHL seasons, or 224 games, of professional experience.
Teams may roster up to three veterans, whose total games played may not exceed 900.
Leagues which count toward professional experience include the NHL, AHL, ECHL, LNAH, and European professional leagues.
Games played by European-born players in professional leagues when aged 20 and younger do not count towards SPHL veteran status.
Additionally, summer league games in Australian and New Zealand hockey leagues are also not counted towards SPHL totals.

• Like 1

Definitely click on the link @MacGuy kindly supplied in his post above: other players involved include Peoria's Shipitsyn; however, Dion is still considered a vet. I did not know that the ECHL did not count SPHL's and lower league's games in their vet totals:

The Federal Hockey League expanded and rebranded into the Federal Prospects Hockey League (FPHL). Ahead of this, the SPHL made a change which may have far-reaching effects not only in the present but for years to follow....

The regulation change mirrors that of the ECHL, which does not count SPHL and lower-level league games in their veteran rules.

One familiar player affected by the new veteran rules is Justin Levac, acquired by the  Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs in a deadline day trade last season with the Macon Mayhem. Levac played 378 games professionally across the SPHL, FPHL, CHL, and ECHL going into the 2018-19 season, classifying him as a veteran. Under the new guidelines, Levac’s 286 FPHL games are removed from his SPHL veteran eligibility, leaving him with 133 games played – well shy of veteran status for 2019-2020.

Levac did not report to Roanoke after being traded by Macon and remains unsigned by any SPHL team as of publication time.

Another Peoria signee, defensemen Oleg Shipitsyn, benefits from the new veteran rules after five seasons in the FPHL. Shipitsyn has 239 games of experience in the FPHL but will enter the SPHL with only 103 games from his time playing in Belarus. Shipitsyn, like Dion, would have been a veteran under last season’s rules.

Shipitsyn has a total of 252 games played in Belarus, but games in European leagues as a 20-and-under player do not count towards professional hockey totals.

Additionally, summer league games in Australian and New Zealand hockey leagues are also not counted towards SPHL totals.

Shipitsyn is the first example of the far-reaching effects of the SPHL’s change in veteran status – the ability of long-time FPHL players to possibly make a jump to the SPHL. Another well-known FPHL player – all-time leading scorer Ahmed Mahfouz – has 751 points over 365 FPHL games. If Mahfouz were to sign with an SPHL team this season, he would have a total of one game counting toward veteran status.

Peoria’s Cody Dion, acquired in a summer trade with the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, will retain his SPHL veteran status. While Dion’s 47 FPHL games no longer count, his SPHL (204), CHL (17), and Finnish (51) experience surpass the veteran threshold with 272 games.

A player can spend several years in the FPHL, then play just shy of four years in the SPHL and not be considered a veteran. Only time will tell if FPHL veterans will take advantage of the SPHL’s new regulations and take a shot at cracking an SPHL roster.

17 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Peoria’s Cody Dion, acquired in a summer trade with the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs, will retain his SPHL veteran status. While Dion’s 47 FPHL games no longer count, his SPHL (204), CHL (17), and Finnish (51) experience surpass the veteran threshold with 272 games.

What trade? He was left unprotected.....

7 hours ago, RapidFire19 said:

What trade? He was left unprotected.....

He was left unprotected because he told the Dawgs he was retiring in his exit interview that is why they didn't sign him. He decided not to retire so Peoria sent a goalie's rights to us and signed Cody. Technically a trade so that there were no hard feelings on Roanoke's part.

53 minutes ago, PlayaHtr said:

He was left unprotected because he told the Dawgs he was retiring in his exit interview that is why they didn't sign him. He decided not to retire so Peoria sent a goalie's rights to us and signed Cody. Technically a trade so that there were no hard feelings on Roanoke's part.

I know what happened. I just dont see this being an explanation league wide if or when it happens again and again in league. Would be pretty bad if Klein doesn't show up.

13 hours ago, RapidFire19 said:

I know what happened. I just dont see this being an explanation league wide if or when it happens again and again in league. Would be pretty bad if Klein doesn't show up.

Not really because we only got his rights, better than nothing at all.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:38 PM, JMC-STL said:

The SPHL - being a privately owned business entity - gets to pick what details of that business they keep private (as long as it's all legal, of course).  Many of the details fans would love to know are crucial to the League's and the individual teams' competitiveness.

But there’s the rub isn’t it?  It might be possible to figure out what the minimum minimum could possibly be I would think.  The IRS is definitely going to be interested in all of this, and given that a not an insignificant number of players are in the US on work visas of some sort I would think the State Department would have published guidelines of what someone here on whatever visa a professional athlete gets needs to make to qualify.  The non-American players aren’t like golfers or tennis players coming in for a few weeks spread throughout the year.  They are living in the US for at least half the year at a time so one would think there would be published laws and forms online that you could look at and ballpark what pay you’d need for the government to approve the visa.  I could be wrong though.