Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Speedracer

Art Clarkson, RIP

Via Facebook: I bring you sad news tonight, as one of our state’s true treasures has passed away. Kathy Clarkson has posted that her husband Art died quietly at their home today. Art Clarkson was one of America’s great minor league sports team owners and promoters. He is credited with moving the Birmingham Barons from Rickwood Field to the Hoover Met when he owned the team in the early 80’s. Art also owned the Birmingham Bulls hockey team, as he brought the team to our area on two separate occasions. Art also owned Arena Football teams in Huntsville and in Green Bay.
Art was ahead of his time in promoting his teams. If you ever attended a Barons or a Bulls game and some crazy promotion drew you to the game, Art was behind it. He had a relentless work ethic and a creative mind that was always churning.
Feel free to give your best to Art’s wife Kathy here on this page, or leave a comment on Art’s page at Art Clarkson as Kathy will be checking both sites.
On behalf of all of my Facebook friends, prayers to Kathy: Your husband improved the quality of life in our state and gave us some great times that we will never forget. At long last, Art can now rest after a job well done.
Pic via Bob Farley of Biz Journals

71585430_2338946989488058_60897958178901

• Sad 1

Art was a WINNER!

I recall a brief conversation with Eli Gold--at first BHM@HSV game--regarding Art Clarkson.  Eli had stopped to rest against the handrail at the top steps at the VBC winded from the climb.  Being that I am an Auburn man, a "War Eagle" would probably have been received with equal distain to that when the opposition's words are unsolicitedly conveyed.  So I told Eli how much respect and appreciation that I had for Art; telling him that we had been Vipers season tickets holders and how thankful we had been for Art's commitment to providing consistently successful and entertaining AF2 teams in Huntsville.  I prophetically stated that because of Art, the Bulls would become a successful team [and competitive rival] in short order. 

Thank you for your passion and leadership Art Clarkson--a good Bulls [and Vipers] man.    

Rest In Peace

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Thus the probable reason for this thread earlier this year: 

RIP, Mr Clarkson. 

So if someone leaves the staff of SPHL Forums and subsequently passes away, you will be applying the same cause-and-effect criterion?  How very Perfesser-ial of you.