Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Theoriginalalex

@SPHL: embrace YouTube

Was checking out the opening night of FPHL on YouTube last night, and, in addition to the obvious benefit of it being free, the stream quality was pretty good. 2 of the home teams were playing in glorified practice rinks yet the streams were as good as anything I’ve seen on a Neulion platform. Our league is a much better product, but they’ve got this on us.

• Thanks 1

This.

I have been talking about it on Twitter, but it seems the SPHL wants to sit on their ass when "fighting" with the FPHL on all issues. YouTube or Twitch is the future, and the SPHL needs to realize that.

1 hour ago, Mark L. Richland said:

This.

I have been talking about it on Twitter, but it seems the SPHL wants to sit on their ass when "fighting" with the FPHL on all issues. YouTube or Twitch is the future, and the SPHL needs to realize that.

I don’t know necessarily that YouTube is the future as there are a ton of potential issues that exist or could exist with YouTube in the near future.  

How do you deal with arenas playing licensed music?  The arena may well have a license to play it at the game but not one to broadcast it one YouTube.  That is a copyright strike and can lead to a complete or multi month ban from YouTube.  Given how zealously copyright complaints are it seems the companies holding musical licenses have some sort of computer algorithm searching YouTube to find unlicensed usage.  Similar if your arena or team plays movie clips during play stoppages.

How do you deal with fans holding up signs or wearing shirts that YouTube deems offensive?  The YouTube terms of service are basically useless for these things, as YouTube has banned people without ever giving cause.  In the last few weeks a history channel I watch on YouTube with over a million follows had about 2/3 of its videos demonetized due to offensive content.  Most of these videos had been on YouTube for years with hundreds of thousands of views, but then all of a sudden YouTube decided they were offensive.  The SPHL and FPHL don’t have the money or public support to fight YouTube in court if it just decides to demonetize them or take their streams down.

What if YouTube decides to crackdown on people directly selling ads in their videos?  So far this is allowed, but there is plenty of reason to think YouTube will one decide they want a piece of the action.  These streams will have tons of ads in them from people buying physical ads on the ice or boards.

YouTube’s actions over the last year or so have shown they are increasingly trying to limit independent creators in favor of larger corporate ones.  This started in news and political opinion and has moved to entertainment in the last few months.  My guess is if push comes to shove and the NHL or even a larger minor league comes calling YouTube will have no second thoughts using their search and recommendation algorithms to bury the SPHL or FPHL content.

I’m not saying there aren’t better streaming avenues out there, and I think when Disney+ launches in a few days with ESPN+ as part of the package you will see other larger streaming services looking for live sports content.  I just don’t think YouTube or Twitch is going to be it in the long run.

As long as there's enough financial incentive to use platforms like NeuLion, Free live streaming won't catch on in the SPHL. The Fed probably deemed it not worth it financially to continue having a paid streaming partner. If multiple teams are announcing average attendances south of 600, I highly doubt there's a financial gain for the teams in paid streaming. You'd be extremely lucky to get 20% of those who attend home games to pay for streams of away games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Geoff said:

As long as there's enough financial incentive to use platforms like NeuLion, Free live streaming won't catch on in the SPHL. The Fed probably deemed it not worth it financially to continue having a paid streaming partner. If multiple teams are announcing average attendances south of 600, I highly doubt there's a financial gain for the teams in paid streaming. You'd be extremely lucky to get 20% of those who attend home games to pay for streams of away games.

I woulda said 2% was a stretch.

YouTube changed their TOS in the US to explicitly state they can now terminate access to any channel they deem commercially non-viable.  Now the FPHL or SPHL could probably both afford to kick them a $1000 a month, but without something like I can’t imagine a channel creating 40-60 hours of content a week with dozens or even hundreds of total viewers would meet their standards.

Link below, the interesting stuff is probably around 7:30-8:30 in.  I have to feel that live-streaming a serious hockey fight would be offputting to some of YouTube’s delicate advertisers not to mention certain crowd chants with colorful language.  I can’t imagine the FPHL will be one of their first targets, but I will also be surprised to see it still on YouTube in five years given how YouTube is going.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/lA1ZffGBO7c/

2 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

... I have to feel that live-streaming a serious hockey fight would be offputting to some of YouTube’s delicate advertisers not to mention certain crowd chants with colorful language.  I can’t imagine the FPHL will be one of their first targets, but I will also be surprised to see it still on YouTube in five years given how YouTube is going. ...

The FPHL being the FPHL in five years time is a more serious concern that League should have.

I must say FPHL has good representation on YouTube. 

I'm really concerned with them coming into former SPHL cities and encroaching on our "turf". 

I'm actually interested to see what happens 5 years from now and if the F(POS)HL actually tries a merger with the SPHL.

I just now as long as they have guys like Nicholls running their show, they're just a s**tshow...

Oh yeah: 

nichollsref.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just for fun to update everyone on the potential hazards of putting content on YouTube in the near future, let’s talk about COPPA.  You may have heard that YouTube agreed to pay over $100 million in fines to the feds for gathering data on children under 13.  Part of this agreement was that going forward YouTube will no longer gather data on users under 13.  

In order to do so they require content creators to tell YouTube if their content is intended for children.  There is no way to really know if YouTube thinks your content is for children.  That is at the discretion of the feds and YouTube.  So what happens if you put up something that YouTube decides is for children without saying so?  What happens if some random person reports a video to the feds that is determined to be for children?  The feds have already announced each incident will face a $42000 fine to the content creator.

Now at first glance there seems to be an easy out as YouTube requires new uploads to be marked whether or not they are intended for children.  So that seems straightforward just say everything you upload is not for children right?  Well there are a few problems.  First, YouTube has already said all videos pertaining to toys will be considered to be for children even if the content creator is only making videos about antique toys that cost thousands of dollars.  To get back to FPHL/SPHL who is to say YouTube will not decide the same thing about sporting events at some point in the future?  Second, YouTube has already been caught and admitted to changing videos marked not for children to being marked for children thus possibly incurring a $42,000 fine for the creator.  I can’t imagine the FPHL could handle many fines in that range, and I have to think sports are again a prime target for YouTube to manually mark as child friendly content.

3 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

... To get back to FPHL/SPHL who is to say YouTube will not decide the same thing about sporting events at some point in the future?  Second, YouTube has already been caught and admitted to changing videos marked not for children to being marked for children thus possibly incurring a $42,000 fine for the creator.  I can’t imagine the FPHL could handle many fines in that range, and I have to think sports are again a prime target for YouTube to manually mark as child friendly content.

You may finally be on to something here, AA.  Of all the sports leagues I can think of over the last 10 years, the F(P)HL has gotta be the most childish of them all.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:43 AM, JMC-STL said:

You may finally be on to something here, AA.  Of all the sports leagues I can think of over the last 10 years, the F(P)HL has gotta be the most childish of them all.

Have you ever heard of this little league called the Interstate Hockey League.....

9 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Have you ever heard of this little league called the Interstate Hockey League.....

That's not childish, that's just juvenile ... https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/other/2019/07/24/hockey-enthusiast-hopes-new-league-boosts-sports-culture-michigan/1805007001/ 

Edited by JMC-STL