Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
fred

If

The Havoc win one more championship I may go broke next season. $6 beer now, that was probably to be expected. But $5 for a small bag of popcorn?

39 minutes ago, fred said:

The Havoc win one more championship I may go broke next season. $6 beer now, that was probably to be expected. But $5 for a small bag of popcorn?

Maybe they saw what NHL teams are charging.....went to preseason Canes game, bottle water was $5, and hotdog/fries combo was $11.....spent $21.

Eh, I think the prices are fair on most items, but stuff is starting to get a little pricey. 

18 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Eh, I think the prices are fair on most items, but stuff is starting to get a little pricey. 

I'm not complaining or saying that I will quit buying. Just saying that I will go broke.

8 hours ago, puckfan said:

Just don't buy the popcorn.

I was thinking about that. But third period popcorn has been a tradition for about 30 years. It's now starting with the third generation. I am leaning towards just toughing it out for another year. If Elizabeth or Bernie get elected next year, I'm sure it will be free.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fred said:

I was thinking about that. But third period popcorn has been a tradition for about 30 years. It's now starting with the third generation. I am leaning towards just toughing it out for another year. If Elizabeth or Bernie get elected next year, I'm sure it will be free.

So will your grandkids' college education, then you could afford all the popcorn you want. 

6 hours ago, fred said:

If Bernie even lasts through the next election cycle, he will institute a nationwide ban on butter-like substances due to the cardio-vascular risks.  Dry popcorn will not go down smoothly, even with $2 beers.

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

If Bernie even lasts through the next election cycle, he will institute a nationwide ban on butter-like substances due to the cardio-vascular risks.  Dry popcorn will not go down smoothly, even with $2 beers.

You don't really think I get butter with my popcorn for $5 do you? I'm pretty sure the VBC orders their popcorn from Amazon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

So will your grandkids' college education, then you could afford all the popcorn you want. 

Who will pay for their education? Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy?

1 hour ago, fred said:

The important thing is to reinflate the higher education bubble since so many people seem to be catching on that most people shouldn’t go to college,

24 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Like Auburn? 😂

Image result for make alabama great again wall around auburn images

Give me Auburn and Huntsville, and there isn’t much left to miss about the rest of the state.

It isn’t all bad.  From a monetary point of view, my second degree has strongly outperformed most investments over its time frame.  However, given little guidance beyond being told I had to go to college, my first degree would have been disastrous if I hadn’t had a full ride.  As is I wish I had those years of my life back even though I mostly enjoyed what I learned.  I can’t help but feel a lot of kids are getting just as little advice as I got.  Employers demanding degrees when they aren’t needed, and public universities providing degrees that can only be used to get that kind of job are doing great damage to society.

Just in Alabama to save taxpayers money we’d do good combining A&M and UAH as well as combining Alabama State, AUM, and TSUM.  Similarly, some community colleges and technical colleges could be combined to save administration costs.  Shutting down Athens State, Montevallo, and West Alabama wouldn’t be an unwelcome change either as it would help the state get ahead of declining birth rates.  Heck you could probably transfer some of the buildings over to the state Department of Corrections for conversion to minimum security prisons and save some of the money that is about to be obligated to help solve the prison overcrowding problems.

14 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

Give me Auburn and Huntsville, and there isn’t much left to miss about the rest of the state.

It isn’t all bad.  From a monetary point of view, my second degree has strongly outperformed most investments over its time frame.  However, given little guidance beyond being told I had to go to college, my first degree would have been disastrous if I hadn’t had a full ride.  As is I wish I had those years of my life back even though I mostly enjoyed what I learned.  I can’t help but feel a lot of kids are getting just as little advice as I got.  Employers demanding degrees when they aren’t needed, and public universities providing degrees that can only be used to get that kind of job are doing great damage to society.

Just in Alabama to save taxpayers money we’d do good combining A&M and UAH as well as combining Alabama State, AUM, and TSUM.  Similarly, some community colleges and technical colleges could be combined to save administration costs.  Shutting down Athens State, Montevallo, and West Alabama wouldn’t be an unwelcome change either as it would help the state get ahead of declining birth rates.  Heck you could probably transfer some of the buildings over to the state Department of Corrections for conversion to minimum security prisons and save some of the money that is about to be obligated to help solve the prison overcrowding problems.

I'm not a psychiatrist, but was there some kind of parental or peer pressure for you to go where you went to school and major in what you got your degree in? Seems like a lot of disappointment in your second paragraph.

Regarding the third paragraph, none of  that ain't gonna happen. Too much at stake for all parties involved- students and educators. I agree that not everyone need to go to college/university; technical skills are sorely needed as well. Doc

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fred said:

There's always a catch.  For instance, Tooth Fairy grants are only available to pre-dental students.

2 hours ago, hockeydoc said:

I'm not a psychiatrist, but was there some kind of parental or peer pressure for you to go where you went to school and major in what you got your degree in? Seems like a lot of disappointment in your second paragraph.

No.  

Not entirely sure what you are talking about so I will strike at a few things hoping to hit the mark.  My statement that it isn’t all bad was a reference to college in general.  There are  majors that legitimately offer students a leg up in the world.  The problem is once you are in the system, it is not one’s best interest to tell you if you are pursuing a degree that is one of those that is only useful by pursing it to a PhD or as a qualification for one of those jobs that shouldn’t require a degree to start with.  

If anything lack of parental pressure would be my biggest complaint.  I don’t think my parents (or most Americans’ parents) really understand the college game and give their children far too little advice in this sort of thing.  As a kid talking to parents and other adults about this stuff follow your dreams sounds like horrible advice, and as an adult looking back it sounds worse.  My only kind thought in this regard is that most people are maybe fearful they’ll ruin some kid’s life accidentally so they only use this platitiude.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:42 AM, fred said:

How did we go from $5 popcorn to a couple of guys with multiple degrees telling everyone else they don't need to go to college?

Never said everyone doesn't need to go to college. We need skilled tradesmen and artisans just as we need those with advanced degrees (and those in between). Doc

2 hours ago, hockeydoc said:

Never said everyone doesn't need to go to college. We need skilled tradesmen and artisans just as we need those with advanced degrees (and those in between). Doc

You told your kids that?

21 hours ago, fred said:

You told your kids that?

Yep. I certainly didn't force either of them to go into medicine (both absolutely refused this field of study). My daughter is the artsy type and didn't need an advanced degree; my son chose his field without any pressure to go to a particular school or major in any particular subject. Doc