Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

SouthernHockeyGirl

Call-ups to Higher Leagues Thread

44 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

Wojtala has been called up to the E.  The transaction list could be interesting. We may see what happens to Tirone and Melton.  Um nevermind about Melton- I see SHG posted he is playing elsewhere.

I wonder why Greenville didnt grab Tirone? He was available wasnt he? Maybe because he hasn't played in a bit?? Hate to see Wojtala go he seemed to be in a decent rhythm 

24 minutes ago, scline74 said:

I wonder why Greenville didnt grab Tirone? He was available wasnt he? Maybe because he hasn't played in a bit?? Hate to see Wojtala go he seemed to be in a decent rhythm 

Probably

That noise you may have just heard was Pensacola fans with a collective "Aww, shucks when their only goalie, and maybe one of the best goalies in the league just got called-up in front of their 3 game series in Peoria.  It's the same Aww, shucks you'll hear from Fayetteville fans if Gorsuch gets called up.  On another note:  Unsolicited advice for Tirone. Despite what your agent tells you It's better to play regularly in the SP than it is to just sit & wait for a call that may never come. Ask Bonar how it worked out for him after he committed himself to a full year in the SP.

Edited by Make Marky GM

22 hours ago, scline74 said:

It should be noted that Wojtala did not play in the last two games either.  Maybe they just don't want Tirone for some reason.

12 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

That noise you may have just heard was Pensacola fans with a collective "Aww, shucks when their only goalie, and maybe one of the best goalies in the league just got called-up in front of their 3 game series in Peoria.  It's the same Aww, shucks you'll hear from Fayetteville fans if Gorsuch gets called up.  On another note:  Unsolicited advice for Tirone. Despite what your agent tells you It's better to play regularly in the SP than it is to just sit & wait for a call that may never come. Ask Bonar how it worked out for him after he committed himself to a full year in the SP.

I agree with the unsolicited advice to Tirone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

I agree and wish these guys would understand the ramifications of just sitting the bench when you could be building your stats. Tirone was absolutely killing it here which made a better case for him signing in a higher level camp next season. Playoff records look good also

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Trevor Gorsuch (G) called up to Toledo Walleye (ECHL affiliate of the NHL Detroit Red

Happy for Trevor but man. This is like musical chairs

Looks to me like the ECHL is raiding lots of goalies from our league.  We are not the only team getting hit with goalie callups.

• Like 1

Gets a bit frustrating and I cant imagine how it feels to be a coach. Tou spend all your summer recruiting and then training and then the E just looks at what you have and says " I call on this guy or that one" . Ugh

13 minutes ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Nothing new. Anyone whose been around SPHL or minor league hockey knows how developmental leagues work.

The SPHL can only dream of being a "developmental league."  The ECHL can't legitimately make that claim, either.  Below the AHL, it's simply hockey's version of a sliding tile puzzle: Move the players around to fill a hole and make yourself look like a team.

• Like 1

Each team is allowed 3 vets, I think the only one we have is Robertson, maybe it is a good idea to get a vet goalie who is looking for a job, kinda like Quad City, they have Peter DiSalvo, who more than likely will not get called up, he is decent at times and if the get a younger guy like Tirone or some of the other call ups at least they have a reliable goalie while they are looking for a new one, by the way who is our backup goalie for the weekend series??????????????????

7 minutes ago, antman said:

by the way who is our backup goalie for the weekend series??????????????????

Cody Porter, Michael Santiguida and Dillon Kelley are out there somewhere.  If Max Strang didn't retire after being released by Evansville he'd be a good #2. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

The SPHL can only dream of being a "developmental league."  The ECHL can't legitimately make that claim, either.  Below the AHL, it's simply hockey's version of a sliding tile puzzle: Move the players around to fill a hole and make yourself look like a team.

Very true. In the case of the SP players moving up they are either placed on reserve or get little to no playing time. In the case of goalies they seldom even get off the bench. I realize there is the occasional exception, such as Luke Stork.  It's not "development" to go from an environment of playing regular shifts to riding the bench or sitting in the stands.  But Bless 'em for chasing a dream. 

3 hours ago, scline74 said:

Gets a bit frustrating and I cant imagine how it feels to be a coach. Tou spend all your summer recruiting and then training and then the E just looks at what you have and says " I call on this guy or that one" . 

4 hours ago, pitch01 said:

Looks to me like the ECHL is raiding lots of goalies from our league.  We are not the only team getting hit with goalie callups.

Players don't gotta go if'n they don't wanna go 🙅‍♂️

• Like 2

UPDATE: January 20th, 4:00 pm. I added the affiliations with NHL teams if applicable (just for fun).

FayettevilleHockey-CALLUPS.jpg

Personal predictions for next call-ups: Blake Wojtala, John Gustaffson, Brian Bowen, Taylor McCloy, Nick LeSage (?)