Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
AuburnAL

Why doesn’t the SPHL have longer playoff series?

Presumably these games should draw larger crowds than regular season.  I know it is not true in all cases like Huntsville playing a lot of its playoff games at an alternate site which only seats a tenth or so of its regular crowd, but for most teams these games should be paydays.  Why not have longer series?

Lack of interest and building availability.  They have limited access to their buildings in the playoffs, and weeknight crowds for last minute games that most of the general interest fans know nothing about makes it not lucrative at all.

1 hour ago, AuburnAL said:

Presumably these games should draw larger crowds than regular season.  I know it is not true in all cases like Huntsville playing a lot of its playoff games at an alternate site which only seats a tenth or so of its regular crowd, but for most teams these games should be paydays.  Why not have longer series?

This has been discussed for many seasons on previous threads. The games are not "paydays"- teams lose money during playoffs.

Wish I had a nickel for every thread on this Board addressing (and hashing over, and bemoaning) this topic.  A simple search would've saved the time typing for the OP.

26 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Wish I had a nickel for every thread on this Board addressing (and hashing over, and bemoaning) this topic.  A simple search would've saved the time typing for the OP.

Nah that would not have been nearly as fun nor would it have shown the board’s current thoughts on the matter, and some other board cop would have complained about bringing back a dead thread.

Feel free to keep wasting your time whining though.

1 hour ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

Lack of interest and building availability.  They have limited access to their buildings in the playoffs, and weeknight crowds for last minute games that most of the general interest fans know nothing about makes it not lucrative at all.

That’s a surprise to me.  My experience has been that more people show up.  You’ve got the local media talking about the team for free, and the games mean more.

Of course I like weeknight games too though.  Friday and Saturday you are competing with football and movies.

7 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

... Feel free to keep wasting your time whining though.

It's not a waste, it's a public service.

1 hour ago, AuburnAL said:

That’s a surprise to me.  My experience has been that more people show up.  You’ve got the local media talking about the team for free, and the games mean more.

Of course I like weeknight games too though.  Friday and Saturday you are competing with football and movies.

I've only seen one year where attendance stayed steady or peaked in the playoffs (in Knoxville).  The local media (news/newspaper) does not cover the Ice Bears at all.  If the game isn't on a schedule they got at the store checkout counter, most of the casual fans have no idea a game is happening after that calendar runs out.  But, our football season is over before April/May, so we have little competition there.  In addition, our movie theaters are now open on weekdays too; so that spreads out the possibilities.

2 hours ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

I've only seen one year where attendance stayed steady or peaked in the playoffs (in Knoxville).  The local media (news/newspaper) does not cover the Ice Bears at all.  If the game isn't on a schedule they got at the store checkout counter, most of the casual fans have no idea a game is happening after that calendar runs out.  But, our football season is over before April/May, so we have little competition there.  In addition, our movie theaters are now open on weekdays too; so that spreads out the possibilities.

I agree on the football, but I’d just prefer to see more weeknight games during the season.  The start times were more reasonable from what I can recall to get from work to the rink.  With the Friday starts you barely have time to go home and change before you have to go to the rink, and again Friday and Saturday have football games.

Not all movies premiere during the week though, and even when they do you usually have a bigger crowd and thus better experience on the Friday and Saturday immediately following the premiere,

47 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

I agree on the football, but I’d just prefer to see more weeknight games during the season.  The start times were more reasonable from what I can recall to get from work to the rink.  With the Friday starts you barely have time to go home and change before you have to go to the rink, and again Friday and Saturday have football games.

Not all movies premiere during the week though, and even when they do you usually have a bigger crowd and thus better experience on the Friday and Saturday immediately following the premiere,

Knoxville's crowds differ by probably 2000-2500 attendees between weekdays and weekends.  They would go out of business with more weekday games, and that is traditionally one of your top 2 or 3 markets in attendance with the smallest arena.

Edited by Upper Deck Larry