Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Greg81102

GDT - Fayetteville @ Roanoke 11/8/19 7:05pm et.

Roanoke (1-4-1) takes on first place Fayetteville (5-0-1) for our only game of the week.  Any military can show military id and get a ticket and sit anywhere in the arena for $8 in honor of Veterans Day.  Last home game for two weeks, so come out and support the Dawgs to get out of their slump.  Go Dawgs!

One of my only gripes in the first 4 seasons is the endless early season tilts with Fayetteville......................... This thing is going to get ugly tonight physically and on the scoreboard, with Schultz gone outside of Armstrong there really isn't anyone on this roster that will step up from a physical standpoint.  

9 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

One of my only gripes in the first 4 seasons is the endless early season tilts with Fayetteville.........................

And off the top of my head, this yea might be the worst. One fewer home game against them than in previous two years (6 vs 7), but ALL 6 are prior to Jan 4th, including 6 of the first 11 home games and 3 in a row wrapping around the New Year.

I thought we played a whole lot better and had some quality shots we haven't been seeing this season.  When they get it setup and in our zone it was still pretty bad trying to get it out of our defensive zone. Shots still way lopsided like it was is still pretty bad.  Still haven't got over the league average in shots yet this season.  First game I've seen that I thought Klein gave up a couple soft goals.  At the same time he made a couple great saves too.  Stiliadis played great.  That shot and goal right off the faceoff caught him off guard I believe.  Come in, play half a game, and stop 21 of 22 shots and take the loss stinks.  No way I think Stiliadis is getting cut.  I think he's impressed me the most so far this year.  But Canucks13, I'm right there with you with Sova.  Not sure if he's still trying to adjust back to playing or what, but he definitely not playing like he did before sitting out last year.  One goal was pretty much on him.  With him and Armstrong the only two with any experience, no way he is going anywhere.  Would think we could pick up another veteran somewhere.  Bremner probably has Mele and Murray on speed dial trying to talk them into playing again.  Definitely need some more experience on the team.  One of the positives I did see was the 3 players we got from Fayetteville all played well and all had very good scoring chances.  Rough start to the season so far.  We need a win bad.  Hard to believe we could be 1-7-1 if we lose both in Fayetteville.  Top four spots in the league that McGinn wants to be every year is really starting to slip away.  All in all, I seen improvement but being out shot almost 15 shots again is not good.  Hope we turn it around fast or we are in trouble.  Already dug ourselves firmly in last place.

Edit: Forgot to mention Lincoln Griffin.  He played well and did great as a face off guy in his first pro game.

All I wanted to see was improvement, and I think that was accomplished last night. Still sloppy in their own end, and I’m starting to think Klein just isn’t adjusting to our defense, he’s been kind of bad lately. But Stiliadis has been great. Once they get used to playing with each other I think we’ll see better results, and maybe a playoff run, but there’s no way in hell this team is going to be top 4. 

That save Fayetteville's goalie made with about 10 seconds left was unbelievable!

Definitely saw some improvement, not just based on the score, but you can't give up 40+ shots a game and expect to win every night. It's simply not possible.

3 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

That save Fayetteville's goalie made with about 10 seconds left was unbelievable!

Definitely saw some improvement, not just based on the score, but you can't give up 40+ shots a game and expect to win every night. It's simply not possible.

Agreed, especially when your highest shot total of the season is 28.  We are averaging 22.71 shots a game which is about 10 less than the league average (32.26).  Even a bigger head scratcher is teams are averaging 39.43 against us which we are getting outshot almost 17 shots per game which is ridiculous.  Only good category we are over the league average is Power Play % and compared to the teams we play they have had a lot more.  No surprise we are giving up the most goals in the league. Definitely not a successful formula to winning hockey games.

I'm really shocked this hasn't developed into more of a rivalry, as much as we play them you would think it would be a very physical series especially with the amount of back to backs we play.

Like Roanoke vs. Richmond or Hampton Roads, it just hasn't grown into that.

4 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I'm really shocked this hasn't developed into more of a rivalry, as much as we play them you would think it would be a very physical series especially with the amount of back to backs we play.

Like Roanoke vs. Richmond or Hampton Roads, it just hasn't grown into that.

I have always hoped that it would turn into a huge rivalry but it never has. I wonder if it because of the revolving door of players that is the SPHL? It seems like Roanoke has a bigger rivalry with Peoria due to the short history with the playoffs.