Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Greg81102

GDT - Roanoke @ Peoria 12/27/19 8:15 pm et

Dawgs (5-11-3) head to first place Peoria (14-2-3) for two games on Friday and Saturday nights. Dawgs currently in last place, yet only 3 points out of 7th with a game at hand on the teams in 7th and 8th.  

Update: After tonight's games and Macon's loss to Pensacola we have a game at hand on 7th, 8th, and 9th place teams.

Pregame Notes

SPHL Live Scoreboard

Game Live

Listen Dawgs Mixlr (free)

Watch Dawgs SPHL Live ($7.99)

I'd just like to forget that whole game ever happened.  From the start to the finish I was not happy.  Dion running over Theut in the first 3 minutes. I thought it was ridiculous and looked pretty intentional with him not even trying to play the puck.  Then 2 fluky goals that could or could not have been real goals.  First one when O'Dea went  flying into the net caused by a Peoria player, I couldn't even see the puck watching the replays to know if it went in or what, before the net was off.  The one at the end of the second period that was pretty much the dagger may or may not have been a goal either before the horn sounded.  I couldn't really tell.  Whole game was just crazy with all kinds of controversy.  Only thing I can say is I hope Theut is ok and not out for an extended period because he has been our best player lately.  We lose him I believe we are in trouble.  Hopefully we can have a game tomorrow without all the drama and after what Dion did tonight I hope our fans give him hell when he returns.  Just my opinion, but sure didn't look like he made any effort to play the puck and hit Theut up high.  Knowing Theut plays out of his goal a lot, I really hope this wasn't the game plan.  After watching it, it's hard to think it was accidental.  But I guess you have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope it was an accident.  The main thing is I hope Theut is fine.

IMO it wasn’t an intentional cheap shot, but Dion didn’t try to avoid it, either. That’s what I expect out of him. Love that kind of player when you’re on their team, hate them otherwise. Plays on the edge.

Now, I do agree some booing is in order when he gets back to VA later this year. That’s what a good hockey rivalry is about. The league can schedule all the Fayetteville games they want to save travel, but this is our real rival.

• Like 1

Dion has always done that whenever a goalie is out of the crease. Certainly not crying the blues but he likes to get as close as he can in those situations and, at times, try to sneak in a shot. That being typed, I knew he was going to do something. He can't help himself. Not just the elbow to Theut but immediately looking to scrap as soon as he did it. (Side Note: it seems throwing your gloves down and skating at someone to start a fight isn't worthy of an instigator call in the SPHL)

I'm just wish that Schultz was around to hand him a few receipts. 

I watched the game in real time and I don't think Cody's elbow to the head of Jake was accidental at all.  I think Cody had a job to take out Jake and that is what he did causing injury to Jake.  In February 2017 Cody took out Matt Zenzola when Matt played for Pensacola and Cody was ejected from the game and the league gave Cody a two game suspension.  Matt was not injured in that game.   Difference was that game was in Pensacola and not being played in Peoria.   Cody should have been ejected from the game and I hope the league reviews it and gives Cody the severe punishment he deserves.  My two cents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

Any clips of what Dion did?

Here is one.  From this angle it's hard to tell.  During the game they showed a good angle up close showing Dion raising his elbow up high hitting Theut.  But of course no one will show that angle or I can't find it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/icetimecleve/status/1210765803286454272

20 minutes ago, Faye C said:

I watched the game in real time and I don't think Cody's elbow to the head of Jake was accidental at all.  I think Cody had a job to take out Jake and that is what he did causing injury to Jake.  In February 2017 Cody took out Matt Zenzola when Matt played for Pensacola and Cody was ejected from the game and the league gave Cody a two game suspension.  Matt was not injured in that game.   Difference was that game was in Pensacola and not being played in Peoria.   Cody should have been ejected from the game and I hope the league reviews it and gives Cody the severe punishment he deserves.  My two cents.

That's how I seen it after watching the replay many times.  I didn't want to come out and say he was trying to hurt someone, but it definately wasn't accidental contact either.  With Peoria's track record with playing dirty it definately makes you wonder if it was part of the plan since Theut plays the puck a lot and happened on the first time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Dion has always done that whenever a goalie is out of the crease. Certainly not crying the blues but he likes to get as close as he can in those situations and, at times, try to sneak in a shot. That being typed, I knew he was going to do something. He can't help himself. Not just the elbow to Theut but immediately looking to scrap as soon as he did it. (Side Note: it seems throwing your gloves down and skating at someone to start a fight isn't worthy of an instigator call in the SPHL)

I'm just wish that Schultz was around to hand him a few receipts. 

I posted a clip from Dave Eminian's twitter. I don't think it was instigator.  It was a dirty play and Ljidsman was ready to go as soon as it happened to take up for his teammate.  Was glad to see someone take up for him.  Just hope Theut is alright.

Fayetteville is a rival. Knoxville is a rival. I don’t like either of them, but I’ll show them some respect. I ****ing hate Peoria. That is the dirtiest team I have ever seen. They’re essentially a Mighty Ducks antagonist. 

• Sad 1

Got some bad news.  Signed (G) Brian Hamilton as emergency back up.  From FPHL transactions (G) Henry Dill was loaned to Roanoke. Which leads me to believe we will put Theut on IR.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

They’re essentially a Mighty Ducks antagonist. 

Ha, that’s a perfect way to state it!