Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

AuburnAL

A Question from a Curious Observer

6 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

And with that...it is safe to say the original question at the beginning of this post has been thoroughly answered. Happy 2020 everyone! 🥂🍾🎊

Uuuuummmm ... what was the question again?  :dontgetit:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

And with that...it is safe to say the original question at the beginning of this post has been thoroughly answered. Happy 2020 everyone! 🥂🍾🎊

Well, the board is lively and there are many more "answers" to the question but that is for another day

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:
Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives ... not looking for flaws, but for potential.
Ellen Goodman,
journalist, columnist, Pulitzer Prize winner

Let's see, Fayetteville does have fans that WANT hockey here. Now to grow the fan base is the challenge. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 10:00 PM, FIREANTZICEMAN said:

How intimidated must you be to remove players number banners and a CHAMPIONSHIP banner? Anyone at the original press conference that can think back to the projections and BS spewed....man....to quote a famous saying..."WHAT UP WIT DAT?"

Maybe a Chuck Norris fear has been exposed .... FireAntz ......

I've been reading this from page 1 on. This is really weird for an outsider like me. I'm still not getting the full picture of what has gone on in Fayetteville but coming from a hockey background I can't believe that ownership can't accept that fans are often the most passionate critics of the team and that this isn't always a negative.  Driving away long time fans, sponsors and volunteers without seeing a rise in new fans indicates something is very wrong. I don't know how any franchise can survive if the attendance has shrunk to the numbers many on here are saying are the real figures. I hope ownership does not run the organization into the ground and should ownership change and move on but the team stays, I hope fans will give hockey in Fayetteville another shot.

Just an aside; someone mentioned that the hockey has become boring. I have noticed that NCAA hockey has become an almost non-contact league. What passes as a good, clean hit in most junior A leagues is whistled down immediately and penalized in college hockey. Now look where the majority of SPHL players are coming from. I am a huge proponent of removing head shots and dirty play from the game but when clean contact is called it makes players leery of any physical play that can put their team behind the eight ball. Also, dropping to the FPHL would not be a good move. The skill level of players there is lower, the hockey isn't as good and it would be a bad move from a fan's perspective. 

• Like 1

I decided I will continue going to the games and supporting hockey in Fayetteville, I do not want them to leave, I do not go to the games for the owner or anyone else, I go to support these players and team. There are problems with any franchise and from what I hear there were many people offended and I fully realize that, the thing is we have hockey and I for one do not want to lose this team.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, El18 said:

I can't believe that ownership can't accept that fans are often the most passionate critics of the team and that this isn't always a negative.  Driving away long time fans, sponsors and volunteers without seeing a rise in new fans indicates something is very wrong.

I get what you're saying, but although it might sound hard to believe, many can attest that unfortunately it HAS and DOES continue to happen. Each person has to make their own choice what level of support, if any, they offer any business. I don't judge anyone either way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, antman said:

I decided I will continue going to the games and supporting hockey in Fayetteville, I do not want them to leave, I do not go to the games for the owner or anyone else, I go to support these players and team. There are problems with any franchise and from what I hear there were many people offended and I fully realize that, the thing is we have hockey and I for one do not want to lose this team.

@antman, along with other Marksmen fans, I really do hope you continue going to the games (unless you've been "banned") and supporting hockey in Fayetteville (even if you have been "banned")- those are ways to ensure the Crown won't lose hockey. Fayetteville has a long and storied record in the CHL, the SEHL, and the SPHL- that presence needs to carry on and thrive.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, antman said:

That's good for you but remember, 95% of the fans have not been in the "trenches" like some of us have. We've seen things most will never see not experience. I have never seen  incompetence,  been threatened, and disrespected like this in any professional endeavor.  I was always treated with respect and professionalism during the Force and Fireantz eras. Always gave 100% at the games and away, doing parades at White Lake, promoting the team everywhere I traveled. I was always taken care of...and when promised something, always got more not so with this group. I am fine with you and anyone else going to the games, I hope everyone is treated well, those that are involved are advised to watch your back. 

All this said, I love hockey and will support Fayetteville hockey when things change here. Some say it's got to be this team, trust me, the county will have hockey in the Crown either way.

Now, if/when things change....you can bet I'll be right there to give 1000% just as in the past....until then I'm rocking this twin daddy deal to the max and loving every minute of it!

There is life outside of hockey, some of us had to be pushed (shoved) out to see the light...and....it ain't so bad

So long.....for now

Edited by FIREANTZICEMAN
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:01 PM, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Myrmecophobia.

As Rush Limbaugh would say..."to those in Rio Linda"....

Myrmecophobia is the inexplicable fear of ants. It is a type of specific phobia. 

25 minutes ago, FIREANTZICEMAN said:

... Now, if/when things change....you can bet I'll be right there to give 1000% just as in the past....until then I'm rocking this twin daddy deal to the max and loving every minute of it! ...

Feels good to finally have your priorities stacked the right way, don'it?  Good for you AND for your family - best of luck to The ICEMANs!  :2thumbsup:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Feels good to finally have your priorities stacked the right way, don'it?  Good for you AND for your family - best of luck to The ICEMANs!  :2thumbsup:

Thanks....first time in just over 19 years I am not living around a hockey schedule! I just turned 57, the boys are 9...got a lot of daddying to do!!!!?

There's plenty of hockey, other sports, and fun family entertainment available for all of us. The NHL is getting ready for the All-Star Break and then it'll be a full blast race for Lord Stanley. Speaking of the All-Star Break, I love the skills competition.  Anybody else have a favorite event during the competition?

Here is my take on the whole situation, I am a long time fan of all the sports played in the crown. Some people can accept change and others it may take time. Change can be bad or a good thing. In this case, we still have hockey in Fayetteville where other cities wished they had hockey. The new owner decided to do things a little different than the previous owners. How did the Fayetteville Force fans feel when the Fireantz took over? Or, the Fayetteville guard when the Cape fear Heroes came in? Concerning the banners, I understand both sides. If you purchased a business that was in operation for many years, would you make changes? Would you remove the first ever dollar earned from behind the counter to put your own up? Pull the pictures of former employees of the month? You get the point. Maybe we could get the crown to install a display case showing all the pro teams withs championships and names of players. Just being open minded. 🙄

34 minutes ago, 72Vette said:

Here is my take on the whole situation, I am a long time fan of all the sports played in the crown. Some people can accept change and others it may take time. Change can be bad or a good thing. In this case, we still have hockey in Fayetteville where other cities wished they had hockey. The new owner decided to do things a little different than the previous owners. How did the Fayetteville Force fans feel when the Fireantz took over? Or, the Fayetteville guard when the Cape fear Heroes came in? Concerning the banners, I understand both sides. If you purchased a business that was in operation for many years, would you make changes? Would you remove the first ever dollar earned from behind the counter to put your own up? Pull the pictures of former employees of the month? You get the point. Maybe we could get the crown to install a display case showing all the pro teams withs championships and names of players. Just being open minded. 🙄

I agree and can state to the fact that I worked for the Force and hated the change to the FireAntz mainly because of a falling out with management in much the same fashion of people here speek of ownership now. Believe me I have been there. Back then we didnt have the Forums to express our problems and dislikes as we do now. Not to say they didn't exist but definitely not as accessible. Hell even the president has a social media account.LOL 

• Thanks 1

Reunion day! Ran into some of the old crew today. Former game day staff, two former sponsors and a couple of old fans....like the good ol days! None of them are involved in hockey now. Good to see some of the gang again!  We're planning a reunion for later this year, gonna get together and have some fun....stay tuned

• Like 1