Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Canucks13

Retired numbers/banners in the civic center

I would like to see more former Roanoke hockey players honored in the civic center. Did the Express have various banners from past seasons? I seemed to remember there being at least one other than Tootoo’s number. I really want to see more Roanoke hockey history displayed!

4 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I would like to see more former Roanoke hockey players honored in the civic center. Did the Express have various banners from past seasons? I seemed to remember there being at least one other than Tootoo’s number. I really want to see more Roanoke hockey history displayed!

I can't remember.  I remember when they put the two that are currently up there.  Tootoo and Piche, but can't remember anything else ever being up there.  I also think there is one with Henry Brabham who formed the ECHL and lives in Vinton.  About banners other then players I can't remember any either.  But we never did win much other then 4 division titles as the Express and our 1 title in the SHL with Tortorella as our coach.  That doesn't mean there weren't anymore, but I can't remember them if they were.

There may be copyright laws involved there- the VBC had to take down the ChannelCats championship banners and retired players' numbersBTW, the VBC  took down all the arena football banners a while ago as well. Doc

2 hours ago, hockeydoc said:

There may be copyright laws involved there- the VBC had to take down the ChannelCats championship banners and retired players' numbersBTW, the VBC  took down all the arena football banners a while ago as well. Doc

The Havoc and Von Braun Center must have received poor advice if that is indeed the true reason the banners were removed.  Copyright would only apply to an artistic expression such as written word or music.  If anyone were wanting to pursue removal of banners sporting certain logos, they would be much better off basing their objection on trademark law.

If it’s a trademark issue I would think they could at least put a player name and number up in the team colors without the logo. 

I wonder if anyone in the Dawgs organization has considered bringing players back to have a special ceremony. 

On a similar note, who all would you bring back and retire a number or put their name in the rafters. Players could be from any Roanoke team. 

41 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

If it’s a trademark issue I would think they could at least put a player name and number up in the team colors without the logo. 

I wonder if anyone in the Dawgs organization has considered bringing players back to have a special ceremony. 

On a similar note, who all would you bring back and retire a number or put their name in the rafters. Players could be from any Roanoke team. 

Vaclav Nedomansky

1 hour ago, Canucks13 said:

Daniel Berthiaume.  Wasn't the biggest guy, but could stop the puck with the best of them.  Still lives around here too.  Him and Dave Gagnon was one hell of a goalie tandem for a good while.

Hard to think of considering if they were good they didn't stay here long.  Berthiaume and Gagnon was here after the NHL.  Another one would be Rick Kowalsky.  Had his best 3 years of hockey here in Roanoke and Kowalsky and Berthiaume are both in the ECHL Hall of Fame.

19 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I can't remember.  I remember when they put the two that are currently up there.  Tootoo and Piche, but can't remember anything else ever being up there.  I also think there is one with Henry Brabham who formed the ECHL and lives in Vinton.  About banners other then players I can't remember any either.  But we never did win much other then 4 division titles as the Express and our 1 title in the SHL with Tortorella as our coach.  That doesn't mean there weren't anymore, but I can't remember them if they were.

The SHL title was the Rebels when they originally played in the Civic Center. Tortorella won a title with the Lancers as coach the final season of the original ACHL. He won another title the next year in the always forgotten AAHL. 

I’d love to see more names on banners but it’d also be cool to have a “ring of honor” of sorts for players that were good or fan favorites but maybe not a record breaking player. 

What about Dubkov? He was a top player for a few years. Maybe do one player from each era.  I think any player that had a succesful NHL career as a player or a coach deserves to at least come back and drop a puck or something. 

There’s so much history with hockey in Roanoke I hate to see it ignored. Wasn’t the Dawgs first season the 50th anniversary of Roanoke hockey?

4 minutes ago, Onetimer said:

The SHL title was the Rebels when they originally played in the Civic Center. Tortorella won a title with the Lancers as coach the final season of the original ACHL. He won another title the next year in the always forgotten AAHL. 

I’d move out of town if they ever brought Tortorella back or put his name in the rafters. I’d be okay if they put his name in a toilet though  

I know a lot people don't like him, I myself like him, but the year the Lancers won the ACHL championship,  was the best year of hockey I've witnessed in the Valley. That goes back to the final 2 years they played in Salem. 

I’d love to see more names on banners but it’d also be cool to have a “ring of honor” of sorts for players that were good or fan favorites but maybe not a record breaking player. 

What about Dubkov? He was a top player for a few years. Maybe do one player from each era.  I think any player that had a succesful NHL career as a player or a coach deserves to at least come back and drop a puck or something. 

There’s so much history with hockey in Roanoke I hate to see it ignored. Wasn’t the Dawgs first season the 50th anniversary of Roanoke hockey?

50 years since hockey first came to Roanoke in 1967.  Haven't had hockey for all those years though.

I’d move out of town if they ever brought Tortorella back or put his name in the rafters. I’d be okay if they put his name in a toilet though  

I don't know if i'd move out of town, but I know lots of people have said he is the biggest a-hole.  When Steve Mele told his story about him on the Greg Roberts show confirmed it enough for me.

4 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I don't know if i'd move out of town, but I know lots of people have said he is the biggest a-hole.  When Steve Mele told his story about him on the Greg Roberts show confirmed it enough for me.

What did Mele say?

8 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

50 years since hockey first came to Roanoke in 1967.  Haven't had hockey for all those years though.

Regardless, I was surprised more wasn’t done to celebrate. 

3 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

What did Mele say?

Can't remember how it went exactly, its been awhile.  But basically he saw him out and went to talk to him and told him he played professional hockey in the same city that Tortorella got his start it.  Can't remember Mele's exact words, but basically he blew him off and told him to leave him alone.

Edited by Greg81102

10 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Can't remember how it went exactly, its been awhile.  But basically he saw him out and went to talk to him and told him he played professional hockey in the same city that Tortorella got his start it.  Can't remember Mele's exact words, but basically he blew him off and told him to leave him alone.

Sounds like something he would do. I mainly don’t like him because he basically drove Roberto Luongo out of Vancouver. 

3 hours ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

Shouldn't Vern Fiddler and Doug Searle be at the top of any Roanoke recognition of greatness?

I would say Vern Fiddler is one of our most notable players, but to be up in the rafters I think they need to have had a huge impact on the team.  Vern Fiddler played 44 games.  Doug Searle was a good one too.  He played here two years but not all together.  He played for another team in the ECHL in between his years in Roanoke.  Tootoo only played here a year and only 1 year of pro hockey, but his style of play he was immediately a fan favorite and I still remember finding out about his tragedy.  

But after saying that I would be happy to see anybody from our history back in Roanoke to drop a puck or put a banner up for them to show our hockey history.  I don't think i'd retire their numbers though.  22 most definately should stay retired though.

22 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

Can you remember what Dubkov's nickname was?  I remember "The Russian" then something else but not what it was.  A few more that had a pretty long career in Roanoke was Jeff Jestadt, Dave Stewart, Mike Peron, and Travis Smith who I think was living here and played many years for the Express and when the Roanoke Valley Vipers were formed from the UHL he came back and played for them.

11 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Can you remember what Dubkov's nickname was?  I remember "The Russian" then something else but not what it was.  A few more that had a pretty long career in Roanoke was Jeff Jestadt, Dave Stewart, Mike Peron, and Travis Smith who I think was living here and played many years for the Express and when the Roanoke Valley Vipers were formed from the UHL he came back and played for them.

I can’t remember the nickname!

I forgot about Travis Smith playing here for so long and he was one of my favorite players. He definitely deserves his name up there. 

37 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

I can’t remember the nickname!

I forgot about Travis Smith playing here for so long and he was one of my favorite players. He definitely deserves his name up there. 

Now that i'm thinking about it, it might have been a nickname tandem.  Him and Oleg Yashin were both from Russia.  Either way there was a nickname for one or both of them that I can't remember.

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Now that i'm thinking about it, it might have been a nickname tandem.  Him and Oleg Yashin were both from Russia.  Either way there was a nickname for one or both of them that I can't remember.

Wasn’t it Michael Smith not Travis?