Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Jmanatl06

2020-2021 ECHL/FPHL/SPHL Expansion/Relocation/Dysfunction

What does everybody think is going to happen for the ECHL-SPHL-FPHL in terms of Expansion, Relocation, and Dysfunction in 2020-21?

Edited by Jmanatl06

7 hours ago, Jmanatl06 said:

What does everybody think is going to happen for the ECHL-SPHL-FPHL in terms of Expansion, Relocation, and Dysfunction in 2020-21?

I can already tell you, if you saw what I posted earlier, Landers Center to the F(P)HL fell through. Hate that for the fans who cheered for the Riverkings. As far as anything else, I have no idea at this time. I think I heard the F(P)HL had their eyes in other locations, but I can't recall right now.

• Thanks 1

ECHL is far more likely to shuffle franchises to different cities than to expand in the foreseeable future.  Back in August 2019, the League commissioner Ryan Crelin had this to say on the general topic in his interview by Andrew Zadamowski of SBNation's Eyes On The Prize blog ...

“I think I inherited [the league] in a pretty good state,” said Crelin. “The minor-league landscape has been ever-changing and I don’t think it’s done changing just yet. It’s a tough business, and until there is more stability, that’s how we are going to grow. It’s been a focus of mine to get our business operations in a good spot, but also looking at the fact that we are not the only minor pro league out there.

“We are here at 26 teams, and we are obviously keeping our eyes on the NHL and AHL as they grow to 32 teams. Down the road, I want to grow the league to that utopia where we serve as the premier AA affiliate league for the NHL and AHL, but we are not there yet.

“For us to strategically rush to 32 doesn’t make a whole lot of sense; there are a lot of factors that come to play. But the long-term plan is to work toward a model that mirrors the baseball model, and to make sure on the business front that the markets that we are in are strategic markets that can successfully house a minor-league hockey team.”

As for "Dysfunction" - I predict there will be less of that in North American minor pro hockey in '20-'21 than in seasons past.  That, or we're just all used to it & we won't notice as much.  :hmm:

On 1/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, Jmanatl06 said:

I see your a Macon fan, so I hope you take no offense with this post.

Macon relocation or folding will 100% happen, my guess is Biloxi gets the franchise, in a Birmingham like scenario.

Fed hits Macon in two years.

ECHL targets Huntsville or another southern city for 2022 to be hip with the kids.

SPHL adds two cities for 2021-2022 season to bring the league to 12 teams.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

... Macon relocation or folding will 100% happen, my guess is Biloxi gets the franchise, in a Birmingham like scenario.

Fed hits Macon in two years.

ECHL targets Huntsville or another southern city for 2022 to be hip with the kids.

SPHL adds two cities for 2021-2022 season to bring the league to 12 teams.

Strong start, but starts to fade near the end.  Seems to me the ECHL's focus on expansion will be based on establishing solid & accessible affiliate locations for AHL callups.  I'm struggling to see Huntsville being that spot, and probably too tired to imagine another Southern hockey market that fits the criteria.  I also think you're a little early on the SPHL growing to 12 clubs.  Especially since I accept your notions a/b Macon's future, which would make The S' go slow with expansion.  But overall, that was a good shotgun reply.  :thumbsup2:

Edited by JMC-STL

5 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Strong start, but starts to fade near the end.  Seems to me the ECHL's focus on expansion will be based on establishing solid & accessible affiliate locations for AHL callups.  I'm struggling to see Huntsville being that spot, and probably too tired to imagine another Southern hockey market that fits the criteria.  I also think you're a little early on the SPHL growing to 12 clubs.  Especially since I accept your notions a/b Macon's future, which would make The S' go slow with expansion.  But overall, that was a good shotgun reply.  :thumbsup2:

Savannah with that new arena being built would be my second guess for the ECHL. New arena, and can play ball with the Carolina and Florida teams.

For the SPHL, I think this upcoming off season we will see another Fed explosion of expansion, and that will cause some needed overreaction from the SPHL and add two cities. 

I’ve always felt Savannah would have trouble supporting an SPHL team much less an ECHL team, but I also really dislike Savannah so maybe I am just biased.

Could Nashville support an SPHL teamin addition to an NHL team?  Not sure if there is an open rink with enough seating, but it would help plug the hole between the southern and northern teams.  About 1.5 to 2 hours to both Huntsville and Evansville depending on the rink’s location.

34 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

I’ve always felt Savannah would have trouble supporting an SPHL team much less an ECHL team, but I also really dislike Savannah so maybe I am just biased.

Could Nashville support an SPHL teamin addition to an NHL team?  Not sure if there is an open rink with enough seating, but it would help plug the hole between the southern and northern teams.  About 1.5 to 2 hours to both Huntsville and Evansville depending on the rink’s location.

Forget the city's name, but one of the cities the Preds wanted to bring facilitates to wanted a pro team to help anchor it. Its a wanted idea at least.

4 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

Nashville still has muniicipal auditorium and has an ice plant and zanboboni already there ..rent is cheap enough I'm surprised sphl or fed hadn't placed a team there yet

5 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Forget the city's name, but one of the cities the Preds wanted to bring facilitates to wanted a pro team to help anchor it. Its a wanted idea at least.

Clarksville, TN.  The city was never explicit about wanting a pro hockey team as a tenant; they just want a team at any level willing to pay for dates.

2 hours ago, mitchg73 said:

Nashville still has muniicipal auditorium and has an ice plant and zanboboni already there ..rent is cheap enough I'm surprised sphl or fed hadn't placed a team there yet

I'd expect the Preds to resist any dilution of their local market.  

5 minutes ago, TwistedBrass said:

I'd expect the Preds to resist any dilution of their local market.  

How though?  I suppose they could pay to reserve the dates, but even then you’d think the arena would prefer a tenant who’s actually bringing in an audience to buy marked up food and beverages.

13 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

How though?  I suppose they could pay to reserve the dates, but even then you’d think the arena would prefer a tenant who’s actually bringing in an audience to buy marked up food and beverages.

When the Blue Jackets went to Columbus, the Chill (ECHL) had to hit the road. I think the NHL doesn't care for any competition.

Macon’s problem is promotion. Experienced management is a must and that’s something we don’t have. We may lose our team but there are rumors about signing an extension. Time will tell but we are playing like we are done.

1 hour ago, maconwinger said:

We may lose our team but there are rumors about signing an extension.

If there was an extension in talks, I am very sure Blair would be much happier in that infamous episode of Line Change to talk about it. Back to the rest, 100% on the money about promotion killing Macon, they have the most blame social media, the most bland promotions, and the most bland things around. 

Macon's problem is the market is not big enough. I did a percentage of this years average attendance versus the 2018 estimated metro area populations for all sphl markets i saw. I did some rounding and I did not include the surrounding areas, because I could not find any numbers for that for all 10 teams and everyone draws from those areas anyway. And actually Macon is middle of the pack percentage wise even though we are way at the bottom average wise. As far as the lease goes, we have been hearing about that for over a year. It does not take that long to get one signed if both parties want it. I thought they were returning for awhile bit the longer this has gone on, I no longer think so. I hope I am wrong, but I think they are out of here at the end of the season.

Macon’s market hasn’t been worked since the Mayhem has been here. Experience and know how is key to make it work and that’s something we don’t have. Promoting and promotions is nonexistent with our team. I agree that if we don’t hear something in the next 30 days I’ll be going back to Columbus to watch hockey. Either way I appreciate our owner for sticking with us for the last 5 years.

I'd hold off on the appreciation for the Kerzners until they actually start paying for advertising and the like. I get the arena isn't the best and that a hindrance but the one constant with this franchise, regardless of market, is a lack of spending regarding the FO staff and the marketing/advertising. The world doesn't work solely on trade deals. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay for promo items yourself, especially if the team isn't in an area where sponsors are jumping all over themselves to be involved.

• Like 1

I admit advertising could be better but when you are drawing 1600 the money probably isn’t there. But there are ways to get word out for free. The popular promotions should come more often.

8 minutes ago, maconwinger said:

I admit advertising could be better but when you are drawing 1600 the money probably isn’t there. But there are ways to get word out for free. The popular promotions should come more often.

Agree. Kerzner's got too cheap.  

Well whatever the reasons are and they are probably a combination of everything that has been mentioned here, in the next 3 months or so you can probably move the Macon Mayhem to the Past SPHL Teams section of this forum. So, operating under the assumption they are not returning, it would not surprise me to see them go to Columbus. 

Edited by Mayhem_Fan

7 minutes ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

... in a couple of months you can probably move the Macon Mayhem to the Past SPHL Teams section of this forum. So, operating under the assumption they are not returning, it would not surprise me to see them go to Columbus

You mean Columbus, GA?  Where there's already an FPHL franchise?  :huh:

Edited by JMC-STL

7 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

You mean Columbus, GA?  Where there's already an FHL franchise?  :huh:

Yeah I bet they would choose the SPHL over the FPHL. Granted, I do not have any idea how long their lease with the River Dragons is for or if they could get out of it. But if the chance is there, I could see it happening.

Edited by Mayhem_Fan

37 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

You mean Columbus, GA?  Where there's already an FPHL franchise?  :huh:

31 minutes ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

Yeah I bet they would choose the SPHL over the FPHL. Granted, I do not have any idea how long their lease with the River Dragons is for or if they could get out of it. But if the chance is there, I could see it happening.

I looked it up and their lease is for 5 years, so I am mistaken. They are not going to Columbus.

• Thanks 1