Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Jmanatl06

2020-2021 ECHL/FPHL/SPHL Expansion/Relocation/Dysfunction

I appreciate the Kerzners for sticking with us as long as they have. Some promotions wouldn’t cost a cent but you need somebody to put things in motion. Just saying.

Just any effort in marketing has seemed hard to come by for Kerzner teams at times. I mean their first season in Winston-Salem, a market that was just a revolving door of ACHL/SEHL/SPHL warm bodies, the Twin City Cyclones' motto for the season was something like "we're not just blowing through town." No, just ... no. Give them credit, they lasted two years, but why on earth would you reference your league's/league's predecessors past failures in the market.

Also ... this logo? Wow...

Credit to the Thunderbirds, they've managed to rebirth that market for A hockey but it took eight seasons of an empty barn to let the scorched earth heal.

I'd love to see the SPHL expand but they have to continue to be methodical and deliberate. They can't let the FPHL's further attempts to come into the south throw them into an unwarranted crisis mode.

Southaven isn't going to work for the SPHL or FPHL and maybe not even the ECHL until the current building management is gone.Biloxi might be a good get for the SPHL if there's solid ownership in place who is willing to spend a little money and hire a decent sized staff. One or two full timers will not cut it. I remember back when Bes was still with the Surge, he was the one answering phones during the summer. Your HC can't be who you're relying on to answer off-season phone calls.

Last season there were rumors that the FPHL Columbus crew might be looking to move to the SPHL if things get going well. I would not be surprised to see them and Carolina make the move. Yes, higher payroll costs but their travel would be significantly lowered. Even if you don't count Macon and assume they're gone, Columbus would have three SPHL teams (four if Biloxi comes back) closer to them than Carolina, their closest FPHL team. Carolina would have Fayetteville and Knoxville in close proximity as well.

If those two and Biloxi joined, you could have actually have a divisional lineup. The league likely wouldn't change to a balanced schedule anyway so divisions might not even be needed.

Edited by Geoff

21 hours ago, Geoff said:

Just any effort in marketing has seemed hard to come by for Kerzner teams at times. I mean their first season in Winston-Salem, a market that was just a revolving door of ACHL/SEHL/SPHL warm bodies, the Twin City Cyclones' motto for the season was something like "we're not just blowing through town." No, just ... no. Give them credit, they lasted two years, but why on earth would you reference your league's/league's predecessors past failures in the market.

Also ... this logo? Wow...

Credit to the Thunderbirds, they've managed to rebirth that market for A hockey but it took eight seasons of an empty barn to let the scorched earth heal.

I'd love to see the SPHL expand but they have to continue to be methodical and deliberate. They can't let the FPHL's further attempts to come into the south throw them into an unwarranted crisis mode.

Southaven isn't going to work for the SPHL or FPHL and maybe not even the ECHL until the current building management is gone.Biloxi might be a good get for the SPHL if there's solid ownership in place who is willing to spend a little money and hire a decent sized staff. One or two full timers will not cut it. I remember back when Bes was still with the Surge, he was the one answering phones during the summer. Your HC can't be who you're relying on to answer off-season phone calls.

Last season there were rumors that the FPHL Columbus crew might be looking to move to the SPHL if things get going well. I would not be surprised to see them and Carolina make the move. Yes, higher payroll costs but their travel would be significantly lowered. Even if you don't count Macon and assume they're gone, Columbus would have three SPHL teams (four if Biloxi comes back) closer to them than Carolina, their closest FPHL team. Carolina would have Fayetteville and Knoxville in close proximity as well.

If those two and Biloxi joined, you could have actually have a divisional lineup. The league likely wouldn't change to a balanced schedule anyway so divisions might not even be needed.

I hate to be that guy, but anything under Scott Brand's leadership will never go to the SPHL. He works perfectly for the Fed. Say what you want about the FPHL (it truly gets some way too harsh criticism around here), but Brand knows how to build a profitable competing team, and he believes his method will not work in the SPHL.

Also glad to see I am not the only one on the Biloxi train. But there's been rumors of SPHL people talking to FSU about that arena on campus. I could see a team in Tallahassee happening, not likely, but still a chance.

Edited by Mark L. Richland

The FPHL needs to make a rule about how many teams that 1 person can own ..soskin owns what 5 teams.  Also yes they have 10 teams but really only 4 of those are competive ..unlike the sphl where all teams are competitive also all teams are owned by different People...i wonder who watches over the salary cap in the fphl and if teams like carolina possibly breaking that cap ,.that team could possibly play a decent game against one of the lower teams in the SPHL..im sure battle creek will fold and possibly delaware..but they are bringing in bloomington who will be owned of course by soskin may as well just call it fhe soskin hockey league.im sorry but the FpHl is a joke ..on brand he done very well in Carolina but seems to be struggling a bit in Columbus ..

Edited by mitchg73

3 hours ago, mitchg73 said:

The FPHL needs to make a rule about how many teams that 1 person can own ..soskin owns what 5 teams.  Also yes they have 10 teams but really only 4 of those are competive ..unlike the sphl where all teams are competitive also all teams are owned by different People...i wonder who watches over the salary cap in the fphl and if teams like carolina possibly breaking that cap ,.that team could possibly play a decent game against one of the lower teams in the SPHL..im sure battle creek will fold and possibly delaware..but they are bringing in bloomington who will be owned of course by soskin may as well just call it fhe soskin hockey league.im sorry but the FpHl is a joke ..on brand he done very well in Carolina but seems to be struggling a bit in Columbus ..

andddddd there's that harshness I talked about

Say what you want, but the Fed and SP need each other 

Just don't agree with the way fed has treated players in past years many still waiting to get paid. Getting injured no workers comp just not very professional..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mitchg73 said:

Just don't agree with the way fed has treated players in past years many still waiting to get paid. Getting injured no workers comp just not very professional..

Correct me if im wrong, but I believe the SPHL doesn't have workers comp either. Will agree Fed has been not so kind to players.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:00 PM, mitchg73 said:

The FPHL needs to make a rule about how many teams that 1 person can own ..soskin owns what 5 teams.  Also yes they have 10 teams but really only 4 of those are competive ..unlike the sphl where all teams are competitive also all teams are owned by different People ... im sure battle creek will fold and possibly delaware..but they are bringing in bloomington who will be owned of course by soskin may as well just call it the soskin hockey league.im sorry but the FpHl is a joke ...

If anybody can pull off a single-owner minor pro hockey league in the current business & economic environment, it's Barry Soskin.  Horn Chen started the 1992 reincarnation of the Central Hockey League by owning all 6 teams, and brought in several more under his ownership with a modicum of success over 7 seasons before finally selling off many of them.  Different times, of course, but the combination of Soskin & Don Kirnan & Sarge Richards has become quite adept at rising from the presumed ashes every summer to yield a 10 year-old survivor.  So I've given up on discounting any eventual scenario for that league.

Edited by JMC-STL

Yeah soskin also owned echl toledo storm way back in the day ..also owned a chl franchise or 2 ...i know he owns Danville,port Huron ,mentor ,Carolina and Columbus so 5 out of the 10 he owns..the league will survive im sure ...they are smart they changed the name of the league because of the ex danville players lawsuit after losing his eye and no workers comp insurance..there was few others also suing over not getting paid or medical bills

Soskin only owns Port Huron and Danville outright (and will be of Bloomington)

He's partial owner of Carolina (1 of 3)

Soskin does not own Mentor (owner is one of the other partial owners of Caroline) or Columbus.  In fact part of of the Columbus ownership group were the ones who wanted to buy Carolina from him.

For teams folding, the only one expected to go is Battle Creek who was a league owned team equivalent to a travel team to round out scheduling.  From what I am told Mentor and Delaware are in the black, barely.  So right now, BC is the only one to go as Bloomington balances the league to 10.

Ok sorry and thanks for your help.i was positive he owned Danville ,port Huron and Carolina and Bloomington.....but glad that they can salvage mentor and Delaware I assume the rent on those rec league buildings arent very high so that helps them I mean they are avg 500 and 650 I think. ..danville has a sweet deal for rent on their building her the deal is for 1$ dollar per game.warertown is owned by the league pretty much but they are avg about 900 a game ..elmira.carolina ,Columbus and Danbury have pretth decent numbers .i think port Huron is around 900 a game they also have. Sweet deal on rent there ..i wish the fphl the best of luck..when are they gonna start carrying workers comp insurance?

4 hours ago, mitchg73 said:

... i think port Huron is around 900 a game they also have. Sweet deal on rent there ..i wish the fphl the best of luck..when are they gonna start carrying workers comp insurance?

If/when the law and/or the judges who rule on the law make them.  No sooner, probably later.

5 hours ago, mitchg73 said:

Ok sorry and thanks for your help.i was positive he owned Danville ,port Huron and Carolina and Bloomington.....but glad that they can salvage mentor and Delaware I assume the rent on those rec league buildings arent very high so that helps them I mean they are avg 500 and 650 I think. ..danville has a sweet deal for rent on their building her the deal is for 1$ dollar per game.warertown is owned by the league pretty much but they are avg about 900 a game ..elmira.carolina ,Columbus and Danbury have pretth decent numbers .i think port Huron is around 900 a game they also have. Sweet deal on rent there ..i wish the fphl the best of luck..when are they gonna start carrying workers comp insurance?

Mentor and Delaware have good deals.  And Delaware I think is a proof to have the Salisbury out in ice facilities and eventualky move.  Mentor just has a great deal.

I will say this.  Soskin was smart with Winston.  The prices are right, Brand ran a great team and he used the name the locals loved.

From what I understand he was approached about selling the team and name but made the price so high it would never have worked.  The buyers we're aiming at SPHL and we're planning to move Columbus and Winston together.

As a hockey game, there are things I hate about the Fed. But, it's nice to see the Annex sold out almost every Saturday and the place is loud.  The Fed reminds me of the UHL in a lot of ways.  Most of the markets were UHL markets.

14 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Not sure what this is all about, but Bring Hockey Back to Richmond has been asked to talk at a conference in future of Pro Hockey in Richmond tomorrow morning.

Bring Hockey Back to Richmond Facebook

Announcment was that ECHL is pushing for a team there

Plan for the Richmond team has not be announced for less then 12 hours and 5 of the 9 city council members want the planned home for the team dead. Seems this announcement was the straw that broke the camels back.

3 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Plan for the Richmond team has not be announced for less then 12 hours and 5 of the 9 city council members want the planned home for the team dead. Seems this announcement was the straw that broke the camels back.

I haven't read what happened.  But what was the plan?  As far as I know the Coliseum has been shutdown since last year.  I did read a lot of comments said the announcement was politically motivated. 

45 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I haven't read what happened.  But what was the plan?  As far as I know the Coliseum has been shutdown since last year.  I did read a lot of comments said the announcement was politically motivated

Basically its a redevelopment plan. New arena is just a part of this idea to revamp this 5 block area of Richmond. It seems the city council is completely against the plan, while the Mayor is 100% for, and this announcement was a ploy to make the council look evil for taking away the opportunity of a team.

15 minutes ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Basically its a redevelopment plan. New arena is just a part of this idea to revamp this 5 block area of Richmond. It seems the city council is completely against the plan, while the Mayor is 100% for, and this announcement was a ploy to make the council look evil for taking away the opportunity of a team.

I finally had a chance to catch up on it.  Seems they went way ahead of themselves and just wanted the group and hockey fans to help out trying to get the proposal passed.  Needing 7 votes out of 9 isn't very promising when you already have 5 wanting to kill it before the vote is suppose to be held February 24.  Seems like more false hope for hockey fans in Richmond.

Macon has just announced a five year lease extension. Wow. 

Interesting call, but glad for Macon fans.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Wow is right. I am shocked but very happy. 

1 hour ago, Mark L. Richland said:

27 minutes ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

Wow is right. I am shocked but very happy. 

http://maconmayhem.pointstreaksites.com/view/maconmayhem/news/news_528614

Note that none of the quotes from the principal parties involved include: "SPHL."  It's possible the lease extension terms address only "hockey" and not a specific league.  :hmm: