Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Jmanatl06

2020-2021 ECHL/FPHL/SPHL Expansion/Relocation/Dysfunction

3 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

http://maconmayhem.pointstreaksites.com/view/maconmayhem/news/news_528614

Note that none of the quotes from the principal parties involved include: "SPHL."  It's possible the lease extension terms address only "hockey" and not a specific league.  :hmm:

Yep, my guess is now the franchise moves to the Fed after the season ends.

The article does mention the SPHL even though it is not from one of the principal parties. Here it is.

The Macon Mayhem have called Macon home since the 2015-2016 hockey season. In 2017, the team clinched the President’s Cup title and have continued to see success in the Southern Professional Hockey League. This extension will keep the Macon Mayhem based in Macon and playing all home games at the Macon Coliseum through 2025.

Why mention the SPHL at all, if they are moving to the Fed? I would think the writer knows what their intentions are. Wouldn't they have had to tell Spectra and the city about any potential league change? 

And, based on some comments I have heard second hand that the Kerzners made, I think they would relocate before they would join the Fed. I think we are staying where we are but we will see. If I am wrong, I will come back here and admit it.

Edited by Mayhem_Fan
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

The article does mention the SPHL even though it is not from one of the principal parties. Here it is.

The Macon Mayhem have called Macon home since the 2015-2016 hockey season. In 2017, the team clinched the President’s Cup title and have continued to see success in the Southern Professional Hockey League. This extension will keep the Macon Mayhem based in Macon and playing all home games at the Macon Coliseum through 2025.

Why mention the SPHL at all, if they are moving to the Fed? I would think the writer knows what their intentions are. Wouldn't they have had to tell Spectra and the city about any potential league change? 

And, based on some comments I have heard second hand that the Kerzners made, I think they would relocate before they would join the Fed. I think we are staying where we are but we will see. If I am wrong, I will come back here and admit it.

I agree, no way with the new lease announced they are moving leagues. The salary cap difference in the the Fed and SPHL is only $600 per week. Less travel costs int he SPHL for them as well.

4 minutes ago, maconwinger said:

I hope we stay in the SPHL. Hockey is MUCH better than the FED.

I think it's more likely that the SPHL will add Carolina and Columbus again before anyone currently in the SPHL moves down. I think the Fed with the addition in Bloomington is trying to semi merge a few teams into the SPHL.

3 hours ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

The article does mention the SPHL even though it is not from one of the principal parties. ...

That's why I was careful to point out the condition you cited (bold text added).  The article content you copied is nothing more than what the Mayhem ownership wants you to know/believe about the future for the Macon hockey team.  It behooves them to acknowledge their past success in the SPHL, whether it's to show loyalty to their current League (and to fans partial to that League) or to keep the buzz down while they work out their future plans.  I'm simply offering an alternative ending to the story - time will tell.

Macon account got pretty mad in the comments over the speculation. Learn to properly say what you want in a statement if you do not want speculation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Macon account got pretty mad in the comments over the speculation. Learn to properly say what you want in a statement if you do not want speculation.

I agree with you. That should have been in the original statement. I guess they assumed everyone would know, but you can not do that. 

It’s sort of sad to see Macon in a state where it might be a possibility.  I remember the Whooppee being a big rival for the Channel Cats back in the day. What caused Macon’s fortunes to fall off so much?

17 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

It’s sort of sad to see Macon in a state where it might be a possibility.  I remember the Whooppee being a big rival for the Channel Cats back in the day. What caused Macon’s fortunes to fall off so much?

I hate to say it, but Macon really doesn't support any teams. Its kinda wired. Maybe because Atlanta is only an hour and 15 away, they would rather take the drive for their big 3 plus MLS then minors at home. 

3 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

Awright, who's the Macon insider on this Board?  :ph34r:

I mean it didn't help literally everyone on Facebook and Twitter talked about it, and they left a "nice" comment on the BLH facebook page.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

I hate to say it, but Macon really doesn't support any teams. Its kinda wired. Maybe because Atlanta is only an hour and 15 away, they would rather take the drive for their big 3 plus MLS then minors at home. 

That’s messed up.  It isn’t worth even crossing the street to see a soccer game.

2 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

That’s messed up.  It isn’t worth even crossing the street to see a soccer game.

*stares in Five Stripes*

2 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

You are right about the Whoopee and the Channel Cats. This YouTube video proves it.

6 minutes ago, Mark L. Richland said:

*stares in Five Stripes*

Some sort of soccer reference?

1 minute ago, AuburnAL said:

Some sort of soccer reference?

Atlanta United, the MLS team, the nickname is Five Stripes.

11 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

Not because it's the most popular game in the world: nah!

Here is a Table of Top 10 Popular Sports

rank Sport Estimated Fans Regional Popularity
1. Soccer / Association Football 3.5 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, America
2. Cricket 2.5 Billion Asia, Australia, UK
3. Basketball 2.2 Billion US, Canada, China, and the Philippines
4. Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia
5. Tennis 1 Billion Europe, Americas, and Asia
6. Volleyball 900 Million Asia, Europe, Americas, and Australia
7. Table Tennis 850 Million Asia, Europe, Africa and Americas
8. Baseball 500 Million US, Japan, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic
9 Americal Football   Rugby 410 Million   410 Million USA mainly   France, England, New Zealand, South Africa
10 Golf 390 Million Europe, Asia, America, Canada

46 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Not because it's the most popular game in the world: nah!

Here is a Table of Top 10 Popular Sports

rank Sport Estimated Fans Regional Popularity
1. Soccer / Association Football 3.5 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, America
2. Cricket 2.5 Billion Asia, Australia, UK
3. Basketball 2.2 Billion US, Canada, China, and the Philippines
4. Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia
5. Tennis 1 Billion Europe, Americas, and Asia
6. Volleyball 900 Million Asia, Europe, Americas, and Australia
7. Table Tennis 850 Million Asia, Europe, Africa and Americas
8. Baseball 500 Million US, Japan, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic
9 Americal Football   Rugby 410 Million   410 Million USA mainly   France, England, New Zealand, South Africa
10 Golf 390 Million Europe, Asia, America, Canada

The rest of the world likes a lot of dumb stuff as this list demonstrates.

So whats the newest on expansion for everyone's favorite league the federal PROSPECTS league ..besides bloomington and losing battle creek

21 minutes ago, mitchg73 said:

So whats the newest on expansion for everyone's favorite league the federal PROSPECTS league ..besides bloomington and losing battle creek

Late last October - before the Bus League Boyz got all distracted by the ill-fated Southaven buzz - they were following rumors of either FPHL or SPHL moving into Biloxi.  Then in late November, BLH was speculating briefly about Athens, GA based solely on the FPHL having scheduled two mid-season neutral site games there.

Almost certain that athens is 100% off , but I assume Biloxi is still up in the air haven't heard anything new coming out of there