SPHL News Ticker

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Mark L. Richland

SPHL and Hockey TV announce new partnership.

https://www.hockeytech.com/hockeytech-announces-broadcast-partnership-with-southern-professional-hockey-league/

SPHL next season will be broadcast on HockeyTV, so it seems the Wicked Witch of SPHL Live is dead! Praise HockeyTech!

SPHL announces broadcast partnership with HockeyTech

February 7, 2020
1:39 PM EST

HUNTERSVILLE, NC (February 7, 2020) – The Southern Professional Hockey League today announced a multi-year partnership with HockeyTech for the broadcasting of all games beginning with the 2020-2021 season on a new SPHL TV platform.

The broadcast partnership marks the latest addition to HockeyTV’s growing network of 35 leagues and over 30,000 games broadcast each season on HockeyTV. The SPHL and the SPHL TV Network will join HockeyTV’s Elite Network, a family of broadcast partners that play Hockey at an elite level. 

“The Southern Professional Hockey League joins the growing list of elite hockey content for our all-access pass subscribers,” stated HockeyTech CEO Stu Siegel. “Their content will give existing subscribers more value and new fans an exciting new way to enjoy the games.”

“We are extremely excited to introduce HockeyTech as our new broadcast partner beginning this October,” added SPHL Commissioner Doug Price. “I am sure our fans are going to love SPHL TV and the enhanced viewing experience that will come with it.”

HockeyTV

Check out the free games.

HockeyTV has certainly made it difficult to view their pricing plans without first creating an account.  No mention of subscription costs in the press release, either.

We may have only escaped the devil we knew ...

5 hours ago, TwistedBrass said:

HockeyTV has certainly made it difficult to view their pricing plans without first creating an account.  No mention of subscription costs in the press release, either.

We may have only escaped the devil we knew ...

Somebody contacted them because their package prices were very high on their actual site ($250) and didn't offer individual games.  But they responded the price for our league would be similar to the AHL Live prices and instead of individual games when you pay $7.99 you get an all day pass to watch every game in the league that night.  Their prices blow Neulion out of the water.

Here is AHL subscription prices, I paid $79.99 for my away team package this year.  If they have the same prices as AHL I will only have to pay $39.99 for away team package. So half price.

AHL Packages

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was told today by the Rivermen office, 99.99 full season and playoffs non season ticket holders, 79.99 for season ticket holders if purchased from the team.

Same with the Ice Bears on their STH renewal package. $79 if you add it to your 2020-2021 MemBEARship purchase. 

I just noticed I can't find a link to player transactions anywhere on the new SPHL website. Can anyone else find it? I messaged the league on FB (they are usually quick to respond) but never got an answer. COVID got the league office closed to communication?

Got a response back from the league this morning...

"When we made the switch to HockeyTech, the priority was to import the players, games and stats from last season (which had to be done by hand). They will be adding all of our historical data as they work from the most recent season backward. As such, the transactions were not put in by their staff. I am working to get this updated for last year, but next season's should be good to go. Thanks!"

My next question was to inquire if there were possibly any updates on season opening dates. This was the response...

"Like all the other leagues, we are working on various scenarios for next season but no decision has yet been made."

So...there ya go.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

"When we made the switch to HockeyTech, the priority was to import the players, games and stats from last season (which had to be done by hand). They will be adding all of our historical data as they work from the most recent season backward. As such, the transactions were not put in by their staff. I am working to get this updated for last year, but next season's should be good to go. Thanks!"

My next question was to inquire if there were possibly any updates on season opening dates. This was the response...

"Like all the other leagues, we are working on various scenarios for next season but no decision has yet been made."

So...there ya go.

Who you messaging?  I've messaged the league plenty of times and never have got a response on anything. They must have me on the spam list since I'm always messaging them about dumb stuff the league does. 😂

4 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Who you messaging?  I've messaged the league plenty of times and never have got a response on anything. They must have me on the spam list since I'm always messaging them about dumb stuff the league does. 😂

Ya think?

23 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

So...there ya go.

I asked a member of the Mayhem staff about the plan for next season. They said they are planning on having full season, but it MAY start in December or January.

I predict that there will be no season and the league will fold. 

Unfortunately, that is a very real possibility. The minor league baseball team in Fayetteville just announced they are cancelling their whole 2020 season. Of course, baseball is different than hockey, but they shared a lot of the same sports fans and sponsors in the same town. The new multi-million dollar Segra Stadium will now sit empty for a whole season. There is no telling what will happen with the Crown, but one thing is certain - the baseball team cancelling will have a big impact on any future hockey ticket sales or sponsorships as fans weigh the unknown future. So much uncertainty.

If the season does begin, the lack of baseball may actually help the attendance, because after almost an entire year with nothing to do, folks may REALLY want to change that. No one knows what will happen with the virus, but the key for all teams will be whether or not they can make folks feel safe enough to go to a game. 

• Like 1

If and when hockey does return to different venues, it will certainly be a welcome event! If it's the only "game in town" (tongue in cheek), then surely attendance would be good for a much needed post-quarantine social outlet. However, purchasing season tickets or dedicating valuable resources to corporate sponsorships is questionable when all of us have realized just much life can truly change and how much is out of our control.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

If and when hockey does return to different venues, it will certainly be a welcome event! If it's the only "game in town" (tongue in cheek), then surely attendance would be good for a much needed post-quarantine social outlet. However, purchasing season tickets or dedicating valuable resources to corporate sponsorships is questionable when all of us have realized just much life can truly change and how much is out of our control.

Yeah I know. I will be happy if the last half of 2020 is better than the first half.