Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Greg81102

GDT - Macon @ Roanoke 2/8/20 7:05pm et.

Dawgs play at home against Macon after dropping a 3-1 game on Friday night to Knoxville.  Saturday night's game will be Marvel Super Hero Night, that the Dawgs will wear specialty jerseys and auction them off.  Go Dawgs!

Everyone after tonight’s game: 

Overall much better effort, but if they keep playing like this, those three Peoria games are going to be downright embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Everyone after tonight’s game: 

Overall much better effort, but if they keep playing like this, those three Peoria games are going to be downright embarrassing. 

LMAO.  That was good.  I'm not to that extreme, but we go on some hell of rants in the car ride home.  Also, I try to wait a few hours after the game is over to calm down, so my rant don't sound similar to Duane's before I post on here.  I have learned that much over the years.  But it is very frustrating, everytime we take a step forward we take two steps back.  Not sure what is going on, teams we play get odd man rushes and breakaways but we can never seem to get them.  I thought we played well and in less than a minute and thirty seconds in the third it was all over.  Roudebush had been great for us up until those 2 minutes.  We are not good enough for our players to take plays off or a couple minutes here and there.  Just heartbreaking, we really needed that one.  The ship is sinking again.  Gain a playoff spot, then fall back out again.  2 games in Knoxville then 3 against Peoria for the next two weeks.  We might need a miracle after the next 2 weeks.  Definately not going to be any easy wins.  Team we should have beat whooped us.  3 road wins all year long and 2 are against us.  Colton Wolter making Bremner look like a fool.  Not sure how he wasn't the first star of the game.  Obviously the best player on the ice  tonight and Caleb Cameron gets it?  Guy who scored the soft goal 17 seconds into the period that was assisted by Wolter.  Seems to me it was rigged against him.  He could have had plenty more and had a breakaway in the third Dill had to turn away.  Still have no clue why we hear Bremner talk about physicality and checking in interviews and needing to be more physical, yet every game it's always just one guy, Nenadal, who will throw the body around any chance he gets.  One game all year I've seen the team buy in to physicality and that was the first game McGinn was behind the bench.  We destroyed Knoxville and had them worried carrying the puck.  I also don't get why we don't have guys lined up to come in and play on short notice.  Have tons of guys banged up.  Playing at less than 100%.  Norfolk sure called up and got CJ Stubbs and he scored 2 goals in tonight's game in Norfolk.  So most likely not getting him back.  We aren't fast enough to get good scoring chances on a breakout, like Macon had plenty of tonight. But yet we play another game with less than a full team on the ice, like we do regularly.  I'm about to sound off the panic button on the season, not sure about you guys?  After losing the last two I had this one marked as a must win.  Now our next 5 against teams we don't fair too well against.  I'm not giving up but that was a tough one to take tonight.  Maybe I am a Duane!

PS Greg, after Knoxville on Fri/Sat next weekend it’s on to Huntsville Sunday.

2 hours ago, Theoriginalalex said:

PS Greg, after Knoxville on Fri/Sat next weekend it’s on to Huntsville Sunday.

You got me again then.  I just looked on the stat sheet Friday night and seen at Knoxville Friday and Saturday and remembered Peoria 3 games because I had them marked for Dion's return after elbowing our goalie, before he went and got put IR for a broken toe.  Guess that's what I get for assuming.  Not that that game will be any easier than the other ones but just didn't think they'd schedule back to back 3 game weeks in a row with only 3 days off in between.  That is definately going to be even tougher on us, but I guess that's what I get for thinking instead of actually looking.  That schedule is brutal, 6 games in 9 days.

I also forgot to mention, anybody catch the refs/penalty box keeper screwed us on some powerplay time?  When we were on the powerplay with 4 on 3 and Macon had 3 guys in the penalty box, when the first penalty was over they let the guy out of the box when they should have waited for a stoppage in play because they should have still had only 3 guys on the ice.  Stole about a minute powerplay from us.

2 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I also forgot to mention, anybody catch the refs/penalty box keeper screwed us on some powerplay time?  When we were on the powerplay with 4 on 3 and Macon had 3 guys in the penalty box, when the first penalty was over they let the guy out of the box when they should have waited for a stoppage in play because they should have still had only 3 guys on the ice.  Stole about a minute powerplay from us.

Yeah there were a few mistakes last night. I know a lot of the off ice officials, and they were severely short handed last night, I think by about 7 or 8 guys. I volunteer to help them out sometimes and got roped into that as a runner between periods. Some of them were pulling double and triple duty on some things, and the penalty box was one of them, and that was about the worst set of circumstances that could have possibly happened to a short handed crew. I’m surprised more didn’t go wrong considering the circumstances. Those guys work their butts off, for free nonetheless. 

6 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Yeah there were a few mistakes last night. I know a lot of the off ice officials, and they were severely short handed last night, I think by about 7 or 8 guys. I volunteer to help them out sometimes and got roped into that as a runner between periods. Some of them were pulling double and triple duty on some things, and the penalty box was one of them, and that was about the worst set of circumstances that could have possibly happened to a short handed crew. I’m surprised more didn’t go wrong considering the circumstances. Those guys work their butts off, for free nonetheless. 

I was just wondering if anybody else caught it.  As far as I know I'm not even sure if the players or our coach caught it.  I never seen anyone complaining.

14 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I was just wondering if anybody else caught it.  As far as I know I'm not even sure if the players or our coach caught it.  I never seen anyone complaining.

It's amazing some of the things that happen out there that the average person/fan doesn't notice. I didn't mean to appear defensive, to clarify. Just a shoutout to some often underappreciated people that make the game happen. 

All I know is we're not in a playoff spot and have the roughest stretch in the season coming up. I know McGinn wanted to be top 4 this year, and I know he can't be happy with the way things are going currently. I certainly don't think Bremner is the problem, when you lose the assets we did this offseason, it's completely understandable to experience regression. I'm just curious as to how much of this is on the current systems, or whether it was completely inevitable that we'd end up here. It seemed like everyone was buying in for a while. 

7 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

It's amazing some of the things that happen out there that the average person/fan doesn't notice. I didn't mean to appear defensive, to clarify. Just a shoutout to some often underappreciated people that make the game happen. 

All I know is we're not in a playoff spot and have the roughest stretch in the season coming up. I know McGinn wanted to be top 4 this year, and I know he can't be happy with the way things are going currently. I certainly don't think Bremner is the problem, when you lose the assets we did this offseason, it's completely understandable to experience regression. I'm just curious as to how much of this is on the current systems, or whether it was completely inevitable that we'd end up here. It seemed like everyone was buying in for a while. 

I don't think Bremner is the problem and I hope he returns. I believe he's going to have to do some soul searching this offseason and change some things up next year.  Need to start getting guys who fit his system, hard working, physical guys. Guys came in and didn't buy in.  Just been a weird season as a whole.

11 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I don't think Bremner is the problem and I hope he returns. I believe he's going to have to do some soul searching this offseason and change some things up next year.  Need to start getting guys who fit his system, hard working, physical guys. Guys came in and didn't buy in.  Just been a weird season as a whole.

In my opinion, the existence of the team as a whole has been kind of weird. I don’t know how much other teams suffer from similar issues but it seems like the Dawgs are plagued by any one of the following 1. Bad luck, 2. Call ups 3. Injuries. 

I’ve also considered that the three topics  mentioned above could simply be excuses. It seems that whenever something doesn’t go right you’ll hear the organization say “well we have had a lot of injuries” or “players aren’t buying into the system”. I don’t really know what the main issue that leads to the Dawgs being so inconsistent but I feel like it’s deeper than an issue with the coach or players. 

Edited by Canucks13

6 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

In my opinion, the existence of the team as a whole has been kind of weird. I don’t know how much other teams suffer from similar issues but it seems like the Dawgs are plagued by any one of the following 1. Bad luck, 2. Call ups 3. Injuries. 

I’ve also considered that the three topics  mentioned above could simply be excuses. It seems that whenever something doesn’t go right you’ll hear the organization say “well we have had a lot of injuries” or “players aren’t buying into the system”. I don’t really know what the main issue that leads to the Dawgs being so inconsistent but I feel like it’s deeper than an issue with the coach or players. 

Still want Mickey gone I take it?

8 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

I really don't like the excuses that we lost everyone, but I'll agree with it for a little while. Eventually you have to get better.  We show signs of it and then poof, we are back losing.  In this league you're going to lose a lot of your team every year.  Peoria only had one forward return for the team that played for them on their first place team last year, Alec Hagaman.  They have no goalie that finished the season with them last year, and only defenseman I remember playing for them was Ben Oskroba.  So they have two players from their team last year and right at the top again.  Even our two players that went back to them are not even putting numbers up like they did last year and it hasn't mattered.  Even Zach Niemenen is playing well that we cut at the end of last year.  Evansville has redone their whole team and in a good spot.  At some point you have to quit saying these guys are new.  That excuse should be gone by now.  Bremner knew he needed to replace these guys, and if Jeff Bes can do it after being out of coaching a few years, a coach thats been coaching over three years now shouldn't be struggling to do it. It's almost been 40 games now.  The training wheels should be off these guys and playing consistent hockey, instead of looking great one or two and totally stinking for the next three or four.  Teams are losing way more players than we are to call-ups and are and still doing well.  Peoria lost their leading scorer and best goaltender overseas and haven't even missed a beat.  I'm not blaming everything on Bremner but he is the one that makes the moves and coaches them so it's only fair he is atleast partly to blame.  Whether it's systems, guys not buying in, or just not enough talent.  The only person who controls all of that is the coach.  I just think after half the season is gone, nobody should still be using the excuse we lost our whole team last year.  By your question, fully buying in, I saw that totally for one game in the 3 aspects of what he wants.  Speed, Passion, and Physicality.  That game was the first with Jamie McGinn behind the bench.  I felt everyone bought in for that game.  I was very excited after that one.  But after that game the physicality disappeared.  We have 1 guy who will light someone up everytime he gets the chance, Josh Nenadal.  We have a couple more that will occasionally.  We don't have the speed most teams have, so you have to counter it someway and that's usually taking the body to them if you can't outskate them. I'm not going to say our guys don't have passion, but we have spurts in games where it seems we just stop playing hard.  Like, the two minutes of our last game.  No excuse to go out there and lose a game in a minute and a half at the start of a period playing lazy letting the other team beat you up the ice.  Our team still don't pass very good.  Teams look better than us doing it.  I just can't put my finger on why we can't play consistently good.  Playing with a short bench a lot of the time when a lot of the guys are banged up and not 100% definately doesn't help.  But we are getting close to the end with less than two months left of the regular season.  Right now I'm no where comfortable with where we are sitting in the standings, or how we have been playing.

1 hour ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Still want Mickey gone I take it?

Not necessarily, I think Roanoke has a problem getting really good players. Mele had one really stellar season (he was always good but that second season was unreal) but other than him Roanoke has never really had an elite player that is always a scoring threat. Other teams seem to have that one dynamic player and you would think after last seasons playoffs considering Roanoke eliminated the best team in the league and had a good run there would be more players wanting to come here but that hasn’t happened. I’ve heard past players don’t like Bremner but that has been from very unreliable sources. I think Bremner has an eye for talent because he will find FHL players that often turn out to be good players. I’m curious the ratio of former FHL players that now play in the SPHL for each team. Does roanoke have more than the top teams? If so, how would anyone expect the team to contend with better teams? It seems like the Dawgs call up a lot of FHL players but my memory could be exaggerating it a bit. 

My main point is that the Dawgs have a problem creating a competitive team and keeping good players. I don’t know if it’s a coaching issue or something else but clearly there is a problem. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:02 PM, Canucks13 said:

Not necessarily, I think Roanoke has a problem getting really good players. Mele had one really stellar season (he was always good but that second season was unreal) but other than him Roanoke has never really had an elite player that is always a scoring threat. Other teams seem to have that one dynamic player and you would think after last seasons playoffs considering Roanoke eliminated the best team in the league and had a good run there would be more players wanting to come here but that hasn’t happened. I’ve heard past players don’t like Bremner but that has been from very unreliable sources. I think Bremner has an eye for talent because he will find FHL players that often turn out to be good players. I’m curious the ratio of former FHL players that now play in the SPHL for each team. Does roanoke have more than the top teams? If so, how would anyone expect the team to contend with better teams? It seems like the Dawgs call up a lot of FHL players but my memory could be exaggerating it a bit. 

My main point is that the Dawgs have a problem creating a competitive team and keeping good players. I don’t know if it’s a coaching issue or something else but clearly there is a problem. 

I can't disagree with any of what you said.  Mine is pretty similar.  He seems to find ones who can play in the FPHL.  But we fail to pull the ECHL talent that falls out of the league.  I can name plenty of players from other teams.  Just off my head Fayetteville had Luke Stork and just last couple weeks signed our old player and he is thriving in his return to the SPHL, John Gustafsson.  Peoria, is obviously head above other teams pulling the best talent from ECHL.  We don't pull very many at all now and if we do they are never here for long. We also don't keep talent as other teams do.  We had Murray, Mele, Sova, and Armstrong, but they didn't even start out Bremner's players.  Mele and Armstrong came from expansion draft.  Sova and Murray was picked up by Ftorek when they were together in Kalamazoo.  After a few years now and another season amost 3/4 done we would have a nice core of players formed.  Instead, all our top scorers are now called up and I'm wondering who we even put on a protected list if we had to choose now other then Jeff Jones, Josh Nenadal, Travis Armstrong, Marcus Ortiz, Sean O'Brien and Henry Dill.  I know there might be a few others but this is just off the top of my head.  Even these players aren't producing much except Jeff Jones, Travis Armstrong Armstrong, and Henry Dill  Another problem I've noticed is players seem to flourish when being traded from here. I'm like you, not sure if it's the system or what.  Wolter doing well now in Macon and still wondering how he got stiffed out of atleast a player of the game but should have been #1 Star not Caleb Cameron.  Zach Niemenen cut last year and doing well for himself in Peoria.  Bryce Nielsen we had in our training camp out of college.  Cut him and has become a top goal and point scorer in the league before finally accepting a callup last week.  After you look at our roster it's easy to see why we struggle scoring.  After Jones, our next best goal scorer is Jansen with 6 goals and even he is injured now.  Next up is a couple players with 4. You dig even further we are just left with 44 goals scored this year on our team.  Which means Jeff Jones has scored 1/4 of the goals scored for our team we currently have. That's just crazy.  I left Ortiz's goals off because he has yet to score for us.  After digging deeper we need some goal scorers real bad.  Or atleast guys stepping up.

16 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

I can't disagree with any of what you said.  Mine is pretty similar.  He seems to find ones who can play in the FPHL.  But we fail to pull the ECHL talent that falls out of the league.  I can name plenty of players from other teams.  Just off my head Fayetteville had Luke Stork and just last couple weeks signed our old player and he is thriving in his return to the SPHL, John Gustafsson.  Peoria, is obviously head above other teams pulling the best talent from ECHL.  We don't pull very many at all now and if we do they are never here for long. We also don't keep talent as other teams do.  We had Murray, Mele, Sova, and Armstrong, but they didn't even start out Bremner's players.  Mele and Armstrong came from expansion draft.  Sova and Murray was picked up by Ftorek when they were together in Kalamazoo.  After a few years now and another season amost 3/4 done we would have a nice core of players formed.  Instead, all our top scorers are now called up and I'm wondering who we even put on a protected list if we had to choose now other then Jeff Jones, Josh Nenadal, Travis Armstrong, Marcus Ortiz, Sean O'Brien and Henry Dill.  I know there might be a few others but this is just off the top of my head.  Even these players aren't producing much except Jeff Jones, Travis Armstrong Armstrong, and Henry Dill  Another problem I've noticed is players seem to flourish when being traded from here. I'm like you, not sure if it's the system or what.  Wolter doing well now in Macon and still wondering how he got stiffed out of atleast a player of the game but should have been #1 Star not Caleb Cameron.  Zach Niemenen cut last year and doing well for himself in Peoria.  Bryce Nielsen we had in our training camp out of college.  Cut him and has become a top goal and point scorer in the league before finally accepting a callup last week.  After you look at our roster it's easy to see why we struggle scoring.  After Jones, our next best goal scorer is Jansen with 6 goals and even he is injured now.  Next up is a couple players with 4. You dig even further we are just left with 44 goals scored this year on our team.  Which means Jeff Jones has scored 1/4 of the goals scored for our team we currently have. That's just crazy.  I left Ortiz's goals off because he has yet to score for us.  After digging deeper we need some goal scorers real bad.  Or atleast guys stepping up.

Hockey is such a weird sport when it comes to putting players together  I’m not a professional hockey player by any means but I’ve played since I was 5 and there were some teammates I played well with and others that I didn’t. I’m not talking about getting along I’m talking about being on the same wave length or not. Some people I played with always seemed to be in the right place or could always get me the puck at the right moment. That could be the problem, the Dawgs have talent but there’s no line chemistry. 

On 2/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, Canucks13 said:

Hockey is such a weird sport when it comes to putting players together  I’m not a professional hockey player by any means but I’ve played since I was 5 and there were some teammates I played well with and others that I didn’t. I’m not talking about getting along I’m talking about being on the same wave length or not. Some people I played with always seemed to be in the right place or could always get me the puck at the right moment. That could be the problem, the Dawgs have talent but there’s no line chemistry. 

There's obviously 0 chemistry out there. We have some decent players in Jones, Sherwood, Stubbs, etc. And on the back end Nate O'Brien is easily the best skater we have, and has good tools. It just seems like there's too much individualism out there most nights, and some of our more skilled players just make terrible decisions with the puck. Armstrong's blind passes last weekend led right to a Knoxville goal, Sherwood will try to cut through the whole defense by himself sometimes, and O'Brien sometimes pinches too much or at the wrong times. Jeff Jones is probably one of the few players I see out there consistently not making bad decisions. I'll frequently see passes to the middle of nowhere, because a guy wasn't where his man thought he was going to be. The lack of dirty rebound goals is also pretty clear we have no chemistry. That's where at least 40% of your scoring chances should come from. It might just be that we have players that don't fit the system Bremner wants, or maybe the systems just aren't any good to begin with. I'm not really sure what the root of the problem is and what has to change, but next season we need to see some progress. I pretty much gave good marks on everything else in my survey aside from the on ice product. We're entering our 5th season next year and we have yet to even show glimpses that this team can crack the top of the league. Every year it's the same slow start where we fall to the bottom of the league and rely on rallying in the 2nd half to barely scrape into a playoff spot. We were only 5th last year because of a perfect storm of luck, and we most certainly did not control our own destiny. I'll support the team no matter what because I love the game and don't want to drive 3 hours to Raleigh just to see a game live, but it would be really nice if the on ice product improved. 

Edited by LeftySlammer92

1 hour ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

There's obviously 0 chemistry out there. We have some decent players in Jones, Sherwood, Stubbs, etc. And on the back end Nate O'Brien is easily the best skater we have, and has good tools. It just seems like there's too much individualism out there most nights, and some of our more skilled players just make terrible decisions with the puck. Armstrong's blind passes last weekend led right to a Knoxville goal, Sherwood will try to cut through the whole defense by himself sometimes, and O'Brien sometimes pinches too much or at the wrong times. Jeff Jones is probably one of the few players I see out there consistently not making bad decisions. I'll frequently see passes to the middle of nowhere, because a guy wasn't where his man thought he was going to be. The lack of dirty rebound goals is also pretty clear we have no chemistry. That's where at least 40% of your scoring chances should come from. It might just be that we have players that don't fit the system Bremner wants, or maybe the systems just aren't any good to begin with. I'm not really sure what the root of the problem is and what has to change, but next season we need to see some progress. I pretty much gave good marks on everything else in my survey aside from the on ice product. We're entering our 5th season next year and we have yet to even show glimpses that this team can crack the top of the league. Every year it's the same slow start where we fall to the bottom of the league and rely on rallying in the 2nd half to barely scrape into a playoff spot. We were only 5th last year because of a perfect storm of luck, and we most certainly did not control our own destiny. I'll support the team no matter what because I love the game and don't want to drive 3 hours to Raleigh just to see a game live, but it would be really nice if the on ice product improved. 

That was my only gripe as well.  Put below average on ice product.  Would also like to see something most places do like racing food at breaks to make something half price the rest of the night or atleast some discounts on stuff sometimes.  But then I thought they get most of their vendors from places around Roanoke so it's probably not a good idea for everyone that sets up a place inside the Berglund Center get screwed by certain things being made cheaper and cut into their business profits.  So I didn't mention it.  I really have no gripes other then on ice product this year.  It's not totally awful, yet, just about every team we watch usually looks better than we do passing and has better scoring chances.  I get we have a young team, but at some point they need to come together and be competitive every game.  Our consistency is way off from game to game.  Now the call-ups are starting to hit us bad and this late in the season it's hard to find good players.  Hopefully we play well enough to hang around a playoff spot and when college hockey ends we can pick up a few good players for a final playoff run.