Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
Make Marky GM

The challenge round lives?

No, not in the SP.  Major League Baseball has submitted a proposal to the player's union that would start for the playoffs in the 2022 season.  The proposal is that in each league the division winner with the best regular season record gets a 1st round bye.  The division winner with the second best record selects from one of the 4 wildcard teams.  The division winner with the 3rd best record would select from the 3 remaining wild card teams.  The 2 wild cards not selected would play each other.  The 1st round (or will they call it the challenge round?) will be the best 2 out of 3.  It is just a proposal for now and may not happen.  If it does happen the SP will or should get some pub out of the deal.  I'm not really posting to start a discussion on whether or not it's good for MLB but more because of the challenge round roots starting in the SP.  

46 minutes ago, Make Marky GM said:

No, not in the SP.  Major League Baseball has submitted a proposal to the player's union that would start for the playoffs in the 2022 season.  The proposal is that in each league the division winner with the best regular season record gets a 1st round bye.  The division winner with the second best record selects from one of the 4 wildcard teams.  The division winner with the 3rd best record would select from the 3 remaining wild card teams.  The 2 wild cards not selected would play each other.  The 1st round (or will they call it the challenge round?) will be the best 2 out of 3.  It is just a proposal for now and may not happen.  If it does happen the SP will or should get some pub out of the deal.  I'm not really posting to start a discussion on whether or not it's good for MLB but more because of the challenge round roots starting in the SP.  

Not exactly. Please refer to an October 16, 2017 article in "The Sin Bin" posted in the "SPHL League" forum way back when (http://thesinbin.net/sphl-challenge-round-innovation-or-gimmick/), in which the then-commissioner said "“When I heard about it, it was from a gentleman from Austria… When he told me how it worked… this was the greatest thing ever. You literally won’t be able to stop talking about it,” said SPHL commissioner Jim Combs.

16 hours ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Not exactly. Please refer to an October 16, 2017 article in "The Sin Bin" posted in the "SPHL League" forum way back when (http://thesinbin.net/sphl-challenge-round-innovation-or-gimmick/), in which the then-commissioner said "“When I heard about it, it was from a gentleman from Austria… When he told me how it worked… this was the greatest thing ever. You literally won’t be able to stop talking about it,” said SPHL commissioner Jim Combs.

Ok. Props to Austria. Now somehow deny the SP used the challenge round. Jeez.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

Moving this as it does not belong in the Marksmen forum.

Put it where ever you like.

2 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

Ok. Props to Austria. Now somehow deny the SP used the challenge round. Jeez.

I never wrote that the SPHL did not use the challenge round- just that it did not originate in the SPHL, although the league (any league- hockey, basketball, baseball, football, etc) is the first in North America to implement the format. Jeez squared

On 2/11/2020 at 2:41 PM, Make Marky GM said:

Put it where ever you like.

I wasn’t posting to be a jerk. I simply moved it and gave my reason per mod guidelines.

23 hours ago, SJSharkies4ever said:

I was posting to be a jerk. I simply moved it and gave my reason per mod guidelines.

Or maybe you wasn't posting to be a jerk.  Either way, it's posted here now.

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

Or maybe you wasn't posting to be a jerk.  Either way, it's posted here now.

Yea that part.