Jump to content

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here


Greg81102

GDT - Roanoke @ Knoxville 2/15/20 7:35 pm et

Recommended Posts

Dawgs stay in Knoxville for the 2nd game of 2 against Knoxville.  Dawgs lost the 1st game 5-2.  With Macon's win in Pensacola we have found ourselves in last place again.  

Pregame Notes

SPHL Live Scoreboard

Game Live

Listen Dawgs Mixlr (Free)

Watch Dawgs SPHL Live ($7.99)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

With Macon's win in Pensacola we have found ourselves in last place again.  

It's not quite that bad. Macon's played 2 more games than Roanoke to net that one point lead, so the Dawgs' overall record puts them in 9th.

Just like Knoxville, whose 3rd place points standing is - in reality - the 6th best record in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

They were really starting to play well after the new year. What in the heck is going on?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, MacGuy said:

It's not quite that bad. Macon's played 2 more games than Roanoke to net that one point lead, so the Dawgs' overall record puts them in 9th.

Just like Knoxville, whose 3rd place points standing is - in reality - the 6th best record in the league.

It gets worse when you see who we did it against.  We went on a winning streak playing against Pensacola.  Pensacola for some reason can't score now either and have lost I'm not even sure how many in a row, but I think it's 7 in a row at home.  After we left town up after a couple wins, QC won three in a row against the Ice Flyers in Pensacola.  Since, we have lost 4 in a row.  One to Macon which was the last of our season series.  If we were competitive in these games we are losing I would feel a whole lot better.  Games we won last we did it 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 in OT.  If our goalies don't stand on their head and have a great games, we tend to lose them.  We are last in goals scored so we aren't a team that can give up 3,4,5 goals and expect to win many.  Until we beat somebody other than Pensacola, I'm not getting too excited about our outlook.  So, no, we aren't out of it but how we are playing isn't giving Roanoke fans much hope.  We were never great before losing CJ Stubbs, Lincoln Griffin, Chris Lijdsman, Dallas Rossiter, and Jake Theut after the last few weeks.  But that's basically half our goal production for the team, and now we are in a constant struggle creating any offense.  Doesn't help trading away our top scorer Colton Wolter who has 5 goals in Macon for Marcus Ortiz who has yet to score a goal.  But one player can't do it all themselves which it seems like Jeff Jones has to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

It gets worse when you see who we did it against.  We went on a winning streak playing against Pensacola.  Pensacola for some reason can't score now either and have lost I'm not even sure how many in a row, but I think it's 7 in a row at home.  After we left town up after a couple wins, QC won three in a row against the Ice Flyers in Pensacola.  Since, we have lost 4 in a row.  One to Macon which was the last of our season series.  If we were competitive in these games we are losing I would feel a whole lot better.  Games we won last we did it 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 in OT.  If our goalies don't stand on their head and have a great games, we tend to lose them.  We are last in goals scored so we aren't a team that can give up 3,4,5 goals and expect to win many.  Until we beat somebody other than Pensacola, I'm not getting too excited about our outlook.  So, no, we aren't out of it but how we are playing isn't giving Roanoke fans much hope.  We were never great before losing CJ Stubbs, Lincoln Griffin, Chris Lijdsman, Dallas Rossiter, and Jake Theut after the last few weeks.  But that's basically half our goal production for the team, and now we are in a constant struggle creating any offense.  Doesn't help trading away our top scorer Colton Wolter who has 5 goals in Macon for Marcus Ortiz who has yet to score a goal.  But one player can't do it all themselves which it seems like Jeff Jones has to do.

Marcus is a good complementary player, but you dont have anyone to bring out what he can do.  He cant create on his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

Marcus is a good complementary player, but you dont have anyone to bring out what he can do.  He cant create on his own.

That's our problem.  No teamwork.  Played a good first period.  Then around 30 seconds into the 2nd give up everything you worked for in the first.  All 3 goals so far defensive breakdowns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Well offensively that was definately an improvement.  Loved seeing Ortiz's hardwork finally paying dividends and hope it's a sign of better things.  Just seems like we keep having lapses where guys take plays off.  Like getting scored against 27 seconds into a period.  No excuse why that should be happening on what was pretty much a breakaway.  Can't blame it on tired legs.  Then the play Sherwood got 10 minute misconduct arguing with officials I'm not sure what happened.  I couldn't tell if it was offsides or not.  Either way a guy shouldn't get behind your defense by that much whether it's offsides or not.  One thing in this league everyone can agree with is you can't expect a ref or linesman to make the right call all the time.  If we can keep up with the scoring we are producing, and stop with the mistakes we are making, giving up grade A scoring chances and give our goalies a chance to make the saves we will be alright.  Pensacola is definately not giving us much help.  They now have losses against every bottom team in the league, and some 2 or 3 losses.  With Macon and QC winning, we only gained a point on Birmingham and lost 1 point to Macon and QC.  Hopefully we can pull out 2 points in Huntsville before Peoria coming to town for 3 games.  Peoria has pretty much owned us in the regular season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
12 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Well offensively that was definately an improvement.  Loved seeing Ortiz's hardwork finally paying dividends and hope it's a sign of better things.  Just seems like we keep having lapses where guys take plays off.  Like getting scored against 27 seconds into a period.  No excuse why that should be happening on what was pretty much a breakaway.  Can't blame it on tired legs.  Then the play Sherwood got 10 minute misconduct arguing with officials I'm not sure what happened.  I couldn't tell if it was offsides or not.  Either way a guy shouldn't get behind your defense by that much whether it's offsides or not.  One thing in this league everyone can agree with is you can't expect a ref or linesman to make the right call all the time.  If we can keep up with the scoring we are producing, and stop with the mistakes we are making, giving up grade A scoring chances and give our goalies a chance to make the saves we will be alright.  Pensacola is definately not giving us much help.  They now have losses against every bottom team in the league, and some 2 or 3 losses.  With Macon and QC winning, we only gained a point on Birmingham and lost 1 point to Macon and QC.  Hopefully we can pull out 2 points in Huntsville before Peoria coming to town for 3 games.  Peoria has pretty much owned us in the regular season.

Is Bremner in hot water?  His reaction and the team reaction last night was one of a coach/team in a bad spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
23 minutes ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

Is Bremner in hot water?  His reaction and the team reaction last night was one of a coach/team in a bad spot.

What was his reaction?

 

 

Maybe Jamie McGinn can take over. He has played for half of the NHL so I’m sure he knows a lot. That way his dad can swoop in and talk about how great the Dawgs will be next year. That’ll solve all the problems!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

What was his reaction?

 

 

Maybe Jamie McGinn can take over. He has played for half of the NHL so I’m sure he knows a lot. That way his dad can swoop in and talk about how great the Dawgs will be next year. That’ll solve all the problems!

I'd rather not go into detail, as I observed him in a non-public area where most people cant see and he deserves some privacy.  I just saw a reaction beyond just losing a tough game.  And no, it was not out of line or concerning or anything along those lines.  I just thought he appeared stressed beyond routine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
21 minutes ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

I'd rather not go into detail, as I observed him in a non-public area where most people cant see and he deserves some privacy.  I just saw a reaction beyond just losing a tough game.  And no, it was not out of line or concerning or anything along those lines.  I just thought he appeared stressed beyond routine.

The guy is in a tough spot, especially when back in August big bob said if we weren't in the top 6 at the very least him and Dan would have some issues.  I think he's safe for this season, just the end of a nightmarish season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

The guy is in a tough spot, especially when back in August big bob said if we weren't in the top 6 at the very least him and Dan would have some issues.  I think he's safe for this season, just the end of a nightmarish season.

I think everyone knows that I don’t care for Bob. He’d be stupid to fire Dan. I think the problem is that Roanoke can not get high quality players like other teams can. That is what Bob needs to reevaluate. Bringing his 4th line son in is not a solution either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, Canucks13 said:

I think everyone knows that I don’t care for Bob. He’d be stupid to fire Dan. I think the problem is that Roanoke can not get high quality players like other teams can. That is what Bob needs to reevaluate. Bringing his 4th line son in is not a solution either. 

I don't think Dan should be fired, I'm not sure what the solution is but I don't believe Dan is the problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 minutes ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I don't think Dan should be fired, I'm not sure what the solution is but I don't believe Dan is the problem 

Agreed 100%. As I’ve said millions of times. The coach isn’t the problem. He has had a lot of success if one considers what he has had to deal with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

I'd rather not go into detail, as I observed him in a non-public area where most people cant see and he deserves some privacy.  I just saw a reaction beyond just losing a tough game.  And no, it was not out of line or concerning or anything along those lines.  I just thought he appeared stressed beyond routine.

I expect most coaches in last place that just lost their 5th game in a row are pretty pissed off.  He usually doesn't show much emotion going off the ice.  Behind close doors, I'm sure he is a bit different. 

 

2 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I think everyone knows that I don’t care for Bob. He’d be stupid to fire Dan. I think the problem is that Roanoke can not get high quality players like other teams can. That is what Bob needs to reevaluate. Bringing his 4th line son in is not a solution either. 

I'm not saying he should be fired, but how is it the owner's fault you can't get good players?  That is a big part of the coach's job.  McGinn is here a few days out of a month.  That's why he has people he has in place to do the job.  Not many owners have anything to do with on the ice.  Bremner was just as excited about the team he put together this year as everyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
28 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

I expect most coaches in last place that just lost their 5th game in a row are pretty pissed off.  He usually doesn't show much emotion going off the ice.  Behind close doors, I'm sure he is a bit different. 

 

I'm not saying he should be fired, but how is it the owner's fault you can't get good players?  That is a big part of the coach's job.  McGinn is here a few days out of a month.  That's why he has people he has in place to do the job.  Not many owners have anything to do with on the ice.  Bremner was just as excited about the team he put together this year as everyone.  

There’s a reason that Roanoke cannot seem to get top players despite having a good run in the playoffs and a turn around season the year before. One would think that other players may take notice and realize that Bremner can do a lot with a little bit of talent and then want to come play here. However, maybe there are other reasons outside of the coach that is preventing players from not coming or staying here. If that’s the case, then management needs to do more to fix whatever the issue is. As I’ve said many times, i am tired of hearing about how great things are going to be when clearly that isn’t the truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

There’s a reason that Roanoke cannot seem to get top players despite having a good run in the playoffs and a turn around season the year before. One would think that other players may take notice and realize that Bremner can do a lot with a little bit of talent and then want to come play here. However, maybe there are other reasons outside of the coach that is preventing players from not coming or staying here. If that’s the case, then management needs to do more to fix whatever the issue is. As I’ve said many times, i am tired of hearing about how great things are going to be when clearly that isn’t the truth. 

Why would the Owner have anything to do with what players come in is what I'm asking?  He doesn't dictate who plays on the team or choose who comes to camp.  I just can't make a connection this would be an owner's problem?  I've never heard of players not wanting to play for an owner, but you hear quite often players don't want to play for a coach.  Why there might be different reasons not wanting to play for a coach like playing time, don't like the systems, style of play, how a coach motivates, practices, or just attitude.  I can think of tons of reasons players might not want to play for a coach.  Only thing that comes to mind not wanting to play for an owner or team specifically is if they had a bad living arrangement, bad transportation,  a bad arena, doesn't want to pay players or just don't like Roanoke.  Those are things an owner controls and has to arrange.  I've heard nothing but good from players in how they are treated in Roanoke and how much the Booster Club helps them.  Parent weekend is always a hit with the players that other teams don't have at this level.  He allows them to bring as many people as they want as long as they stay in 1 hotel room.  There are perks to coming to Roanoke the owner gives.  I mean it isn't his fault players are retiring or leaving Roanoke like Dion and Carvalho did.  I just have a hard time believing a man that comes to Roanoke once or twice a month during the season who has giving Mickey Gray and Coach Bremner every title to run the team as they want is the one to blame.  Bremner should be the ambassador to Roanoke and bringing the players in.  He lives here year round.  I see what your saying if there were reasons outside of the coach, but that's just speculation with no proof and him living in Canada I have a hard time believing the coach and president/gm doesn't have full control over what happens and players brought in and heard him even say Bremner has control of everything on the ice.  Now if I had proof he was keeping Bremner from doing his job properly I might agree, but i'm having a hard time believing that is a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
14 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Why would the Owner have anything to do with what players come in is what I'm asking?  He doesn't dictate who plays on the team or choose who comes to camp.  I just can't make a connection this would be an owner's problem?  I've never heard of players not wanting to play for an owner, but you hear quite often players don't want to play for a coach.  Why there might be different reasons not wanting to play for a coach like playing time, don't like the systems, style of play, how a coach motivates, practices, or just attitude.  I can think of tons of reasons players might not want to play for a coach.  Only thing that comes to mind not wanting to play for an owner or team specifically is if they had a bad living arrangement, bad transportation,  a bad arena, doesn't want to pay players or just don't like Roanoke.  Those are things an owner controls and has to arrange.  I've heard nothing but good from players in how they are treated in Roanoke and how much the Booster Club helps them.  Parent weekend is always a hit with the players that other teams don't have at this level.  He allows them to bring as many people as they want as long as they stay in 1 hotel room.  There are perks to coming to Roanoke the owner gives.  I mean it isn't his fault players are retiring or leaving Roanoke like Dion and Carvalho did.  I just have a hard time believing a man that comes to Roanoke once or twice a month during the season who has giving Mickey Gray and Coach Bremner every title to run the team as they want is the one to blame.  Bremner should be the ambassador to Roanoke and bringing the players in.  He lives here year round.  I see what your saying if there were reasons outside of the coach, but that's just speculation with no proof and him living in Canada I have a hard time believing the coach and president/gm doesn't have full control over what happens and players brought in and heard him even say Bremner has control of everything on the ice.  Now if I had proof he was keeping Bremner from doing his job properly I might agree, but i'm having a hard time believing that is a problem.

There is obviously a problem with getting quality players though. You're right that some things cannot be controlled like with a player deciding that they don't want to play anymore or something like that but there is something wrong considering that McGinn and others will say that players are basically kicking the door down trying to play for Roanoke when that is obviously not true. Maybe players don't like Bremner and are not buying into the system but I feel like based on the past that Bremner would do something about that. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to be passive and let things continue. Someone is full of BS when it comes to the Dawgs and I don't know exactly who it is. If the problem is the coach then something needs to be done and I am not saying the solution is a new coach. What I am saying is that maybe he needs guidance or something. Again, I have no idea what the problem is but clearly there is a problem and fans are only going to put up with a mediocre to poor team for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

There is obviously a problem with getting quality players though. You're right that some things cannot be controlled like with a player deciding that they don't want to play anymore or something like that but there is something wrong considering that McGinn and others will say that players are basically kicking the door down trying to play for Roanoke when that is obviously not true. Maybe players don't like Bremner and are not buying into the system but I feel like based on the past that Bremner would do something about that. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to be passive and let things continue. Someone is full of BS when it comes to the Dawgs and I don't know exactly who it is. If the problem is the coach then something needs to be done and I am not saying the solution is a new coach. What I am saying is that maybe he needs guidance or something. Again, I have no idea what the problem is but clearly there is a problem and fans are only going to put up with a mediocre to poor team for so long.

Or maybe there are players knocking down the door wanting to play but we are choosing the wrong ones.  I go by what I see.  Your not going to steal many good players from teams in this league with the 13 player protected list.  Not many coaches is going to leave their best players off like we did with Carvalho.  Best way to build a team is to find good rookies.  We let Bryce Nielsen slip out of our camp by cutting him and was one of the leading scorers in the league before getting called up.  I still remember the interview with Bremner praising the team he put together and said we have plenty of talent and was especially high on Brad Riccardi and his motor.  I'm not trashing him or anything but just an example of how things don't work out the way you think it should.  He still has time to become a good player, but 36 games with 5 goals and 8 assists is probably not what he was expecting from him so far this year being his highest praised rookie.  I also see most trades we make don't go our way a lot of the time.  Some didn't even show up to play for us like Hosmer or Levac.  Wolter trade was looking bad so far but after this weekend it's looking much better.  One that actually working out is Sherwood for Bakker for the simple reason atleast our player is playing for us even after his suspension and return and Bakker has been in Brampton just about the whole season.  I don't know the problem either, but I just can't see how Bremner gets the benefit of the doubt, but McGinn is being blamed.  Problem is now is no team can find anymore quality players.  ECHL has stole all SPHL players and the SPHL has took all of FPHL players.  Just bad luck all other teams lost players at the beginning of the season and got the pick of the FPHL talent as we are now lost all of our players in the last few weeks.  Just not much talent left to choose from.  Just look at Peoria losing 3 guys in less than a week and are playing short.  But somehow it seems they just keep on ticking because they have a large group of guys sticking together not taking call-ups trying to win a championship just about every year. That's about the only advantage teams have in this league. Where we might have two in Armstrong and Jones.  I'm not saying you're wrong but I just don't see McGinn running his team like Jerry Jones does.  Just not around enough to do it if he wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
×
×
  • Create New...