Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Greg81102

GDT - Roanoke @ Huntsville 2/16/20 6pm et.

Dawgs travel to Huntsville for the last game of a 3 games in 3 days.  Dawgs picked up 1 point in a 4-3 loss in overtime to Knoxville. Definately need 2 points bad to keep pace with the 3 teams above us. Losing streak has hit 5 games.

Pregame Notes

SPHL Live Scoreboard

Game Live

Listen Dawgs Mixlr (Free)

Watch Dawgs SPHL Live ($7.99)

Finally that was a good game.  Played physical and wasn't always pretty, especially with all our penalties.  Our physicality was huge though.  Finally in that last period I think Huntsville imploded with all those bad penalties.  Hope Osaka is alright that was a hell of a hit to the head.  Probably a nice suspension for Alec Brandrup for illegal check to the head.  Had plenty good scoring chances and defense looked a lot better.  Schultz with two good fights throwing some haymakers was definately fun to watch even though the camera man totally made you miss one of them.  I saw the video of both pretty clear and Schultz definately won both.  Wish I could post the video but they were both in Facebook groups.  Happy to say we are tied for the last playoff spot with Birmingham who has played 1 game less than us and Macon who has played 1 game more than us.  Also, now even in games played with QC only down 4 points after their loss today.  Hopefully we can keep it going Thursday night!

7 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

Finally that was a good game.  Played physical and wasn't always pretty, especially with all our penalties.  Our physicality was huge though.  Finally in that last period I think Huntsville imploded with all those bad penalties.  Hope Osaka is alright that was a hell of a hit to the head.  Probably a nice suspension for Alec Brandrup for illegal check to the head.  Had plenty good scoring chances and defense looked a lot better.  Schultz with two good fights throwing some haymakers was definately fun to watch even though the camera man totally made you miss one of them.  I saw the video of both pretty clear and Schultz definately won both.  Wish I could post the video but they were both in Facebook groups.  Happy to say we are tied for the last playoff spot with Birmingham who has played 1 game less than us and Macon who has played 1 game more than us.  Also, now even in games played with QC only down 4 points after their loss today.  Hopefully we can keep it going Thursday night!

See good things happen when you play old school hockey..... I don't care what some on here say about him but Schultz is the kind of kid you can build a team and franchise around. This community will latch onto that kid if he stays.  He's one of the few left that isn't a giant p&$$ and the majority of the league is scared of him. Great win hopefully we got our balls back!

1 hour ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Definately goon hockey from both teams last night, along with inconsistent officiating (re: the latter- what else is new? 😂).

You call it goon hockey, I call it physical hockey and physical hockey wins games.  It's held true all this time, just like the I Formation and station to station baseball.  

Love me some Jake Schultz, blue collar kid who doesn't take any sh!t.  I hope he keeps "gooning" it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

You call it goon hockey, I call it physical hockey and physical hockey wins games.  It's held true all this time, just like the I Formation and station to station baseball.  

Physical hockey- good hard finishing checks, digging and grinding for pucks in the corners, standing up for your teammates- those are fine. Blatant crosschecks, wind-up slashes to the arms or legs, elbows to the head, take-downs way away from the puck- that's goon, not "physical", hockey.

5 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Physical hockey- good hard finishing checks, digging and grinding for pucks in the corners, standing up for your teammates- those are fine. Blatant crosschecks, wind-up slashes to the arms or legs, elbows to the head, take-downs way away from the puck- that's goon, not "physical", hockey.

Nope, the hometown boys will never be goons..... I know you don't like Schultz but I hope he's here to stay and I hope he never changes.

1 hour ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

Nope, the hometown boys will never be goons..... I know you don't like Schultz but I hope he's here to stay and I hope he never changes.

Agree 100%, Roanoke needs a player that will fight and do things to get the team and crowd fired up. 

13 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

See good things happen when you play old school hockey..... I don't care what some on here say about him but Schultz is the kind of kid you can build a team and franchise around. This community will latch onto that kid if he stays.  He's one of the few left that isn't a giant p&$$ and the majority of the league is scared of him. Great win hopefully we got our balls back!

That first game in Knoxville wasn't good one for him.  Not sure if it was because it was his first game back, but he got beat a few times and gave up a goal.  After that first one he looked a lot better.  If he can play aggressive like that and get under the other team's skin and make them implode like Huntsville did in the 3rd I'll take it.  Only drawback is you play like that the refs are going to be watching you and calling anything that looks close to a penalty like they did against him getting 3 minor penalties. 

10 hours ago, Greg81102 said:

That first game in Knoxville wasn't good one for him.  Not sure if it was because it was his first game back, but he got beat a few times and gave up a goal.  After that first one he looked a lot better.  If he can play aggressive like that and get under the other team's skin and make them implode like Huntsville did in the 3rd I'll take it.  Only drawback is you play like that the refs are going to be watching you and calling anything that looks close to a penalty like they did against him getting 3 minor penalties. 

Schultz is a kid that you have to take the good with the bad however the good outweighs the bad. 

Yeah ordinarily I'd keep the goon stuff out of it, but you can't really win with pure skill in the SPHL, you'll never keep your team together that way. You gotta have sandpaper. 

1 hour ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

Yeah ordinarily I'd keep the goon stuff out of it, but you can't really win with pure skill in the SPHL, you'll never keep your team together that way. You gotta have sandpaper. 

Looks like Pensacola believes the same.  Can't win a game and sign Nick Wright.  I don't care what anybody says, tough guys help teams.  They create space for your skill players.  Makes teammates not afraid to play physical when they know they got someone that will step up for them if needed.  It does help if the guy can play a regular shift and has some skills.  Guess Pensacola thinks they are soft and need some toughness.  Nothing else is working for them.

GOON HOCKEY?! 

Schultz isn't skating around taking people's heads off for no reason whatsoever! He's doing what is needed to protect the boys. 

Like it or not, it's part of the game. If someone needs to catch a receipt for their sins, so be it.

I'd rather have a guy that does it like Schultz over a poochie (pardon my French) like Hagaman that'll only go with someone smaller than himself, with most times from behind. 

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Like 1