Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
RapidFire19

ECHL Cancels Remainder 2019-20 Season

Read more https://www.echl.com/news/2020/3/echl-cancels-remainder-of-2019-20-season

ECHL CANCELS REMAINDER OF 2019-20 SEASON

On Saturday, the ECHL Board of Governors approved the cancellation of the remainder of the 2019-20 Season.  

A statement from ECHL Commissioner Ryan Crelin:

The decision by the ECHL to cancel the remainder of the 2019-20 Season does not come lightly, as this is an emotional time for our Players, Coaches, Member Teams, Fans and Staff.   At this point in the Season, there has been immense dedication and countless hours committed in moving towards what is traditionally the most exciting part of the hockey year............

1 hour ago, Speedracer said:

Well this sucks

Hysteria...gotta love it.

This isn't hysteria, this is true concern. All the leagues have the right to be as concerned as they are. This virus targets their main audience (lets be honest), those 65 or older. IMO this is the right call, but it sucks to say so.  

4 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

I have attended and watched too many hockey games to count and I don't see how anyone could say the main audience is 65 years and older. 😒

Alright then I'll be a little nicer, 55+

It doesn’t really matter about anyone’s age.  I get it and pass it to the folks sitting next to me who pass it to the people they meet in the grocery store who pass it to others and so on.  While there’s a chance no one in that chain is at a high likelihood of death, a crowd of thousands with multiple sick people in it will almost certainly pass it to some at a high risk of death especially as an unregulated outbreak proceeds.  All that excludes that there is a non-zero chance that some people without a high likelihood of death will still die.

Posted (edited)

I recommend everyone take a look at this Washington Post article, which provides animated illustrations of how human contact in various sizes of groups (no matter their ages) under various conditions of contact & isolation could influence the spread of infection for a virus like COVID-19.  You don't even have to read the author's words to gain a visible appreciation for the risks involved.

Edited by JMC-STL
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

All those devout hockey fans that are younger than 55+, please raise your hand! 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️ ...

Once the current worldwide crisis subsides, I reserve the right to give you one of these ... :thumbdown: ... just for old times' sake.

• Haha 1

After looking at that chart, it made me realize that it seems millenials and the younger generation are not huge sports fans. Wonder if there's been a study of that. They live a different lifestyle than we did growing up. Stay so involved with their phones, social media, etc. and don't spend NEAR as much time outdoors playing sports and games. Truly sad. 

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

I recommend everyone take a look at this Washington Post article, which provides animated illustrations of how human contact in various sizes of groups (no matter their ages) under various conditions of contact & isolation could influence the spread of infection for a virus like COVID-19.  You don't even have to read the author's words to gain a visible appreciation for the risks involved.

Thanks for sharing this. This is a great illustration of how these principles work, although I doubt any proof will make the deniers stop denying.

1 hour ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

All those devout hockey fans that are younger than 55+, please raise your hand! 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️

Actually hockey has one of the youngest audiences.

Screenshot_20200315-121934_Chrome.jpg

🙋‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

All those devout hockey fans that are younger than 55+, please raise your hand! 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️🙋‍♀️

Actually hockey has one of the youngest audiences.

Screenshot_20200315-121934_Chrome.jpg

Those numbers don't include the SPHL.....

• Haha 1