Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernHockeyGirl

Marksmen in Peril as SPHL Cancels Remainder of Season

Everyone in the league is facing this situation, hope it works out, maybe time for the city and county to offer some kind of assistance or hockey will be a thing of the past. Hope they try to save it cause it would be devastating to see them leave, I know some on here have voiced displeasure with management but if the Marksmen fold I believe no one will step in to save them. Let's save hockey in Fayetteville guys.

Aw man, that would suck. I remember the Force all the way back to the CHL days. Fayetteville without a hockey team just does not seem right and I hope it works out.

14 hours ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

Hate it for the fans of Fayetteville.  Your owner seems like a crap bag, though.

When I was reading the article I was floored by his need to pat himself on the back.  To each his own I guess.

• Like 1

Hey he put out the money for this team would anyone else do that, I don't think so, so why rip the owner, we are fortunate to even have a team, so if you are critical of him email him, but let's keep the forum discussion to the team and hopefully their return next year. Bottom line we true fans don't want any owner to fail, and no I do not know Chuck and don't live in the past, looking forward to next season, hope there is one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, antman said:

Hey he put out the money for this team would anyone else do that, I don't think so, so why rip the owner, we are fortunate to even have a team, so if you are critical of him email him, but let's keep the forum discussion to the team and hopefully their return next year. Bottom line we true fans don't want any owner to fail, and no I do not know Chuck and don't live in the past, looking forward to next season, hope there is one

I guess I don't understand why buying a team insulates him from all criticism, but ok.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

I guess I don't understand why buying a team insulates him from all criticism, but ok.

Because a lot of former FireAntz fans hate him because he came in and fixed a bad situation, and during that took away a fan favorite name. It sucks, I get that, but people still hold this stupid grudge years later and because he dares not listen to their superior opinion to chance the Marksmen name back to the FireAntz. It just spiraled into this stupid one sided battle. 

And to the people about to call me one of Chucks's spy's (trust me, someone is), no, I am not. Chuck has had his share of mess ups, I will say that. 

Edited by Mark L. Richland
Changing words due to censorship

I personally don't know anyone that "hates" him or even "hates" that the FireAntz brand was changed. That is a really strong word. Of course, it wasn't a popular change with some I'm sure. I also have never heard that anyone expected the team to go back to the FireAntz brand. Of course, there may be some that feel that way. I wouldn't know. Sometimes people can be their own worst enemy though with their words, actions, and chosen tactics.

That being said, I for one do wish ALL hockey & other sports teams the absolute best moving forward. This whole situation is truly stressful and heartbreaking for so many across the globe.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

I personally don't know anyone that "hates" him or even "hates" that the FireAntz brand was changed. That is a really strong word. Of course, it wasn't a popular change with some I'm sure. I also have never heard that anyone expected the team to go back to the FireAntz brand. Of course, there may be some that feel that way. I wouldn't know. Sometimes people can be their own worst enemy though with their words, actions, and chosen tactics.

That being said, I for one do wish ALL hockey & other sports teams the absolute best moving forward. This whole situation is truly stressful and heartbreaking for so many across the globe.

Cmon, we have both seen some of the postings here about Chuck. There's some very strong opinions at least.

19 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Because a lot of former FireAntz fans hate him because he came in and fixed a bad situation, and during that took away a fan favorite name. It sucks, I get that, but people still hold this stupid grudge years later and because he dares not listen to their superior opinion to chance the Marksmen name back to the FireAntz. It just spiraled into this stupid one sided battle. 

And to the people about to call me one of Chucks's spy's (trust me, someone is), no, I am not. Chuck has had his share of mess ups, I will say that. 

FireAntz was a much better name.  Not as much better as it would have been if they were Fire Ants instead but still pretty cool.  The fox logo is pretty cool, but Marksmen is just a headscratcher of a name.

8 hours ago, Mark L. Richland said:

Cmon, we have both seen some of the postings here about Chuck. There's some very strong opinions at least.

Those strong opinions are from experiences we've had with him on here. Even experiences we have had off of here with his fake accounts going around harassing people who he blocks and says he has no time for.  Yet he will go on another team's site, and harass someone he banned unprovoked who he said he has no time for.  If they aren't worth it, why would you feel the need to go after them every chance you get?  We give our honest opinions on here and have been for years.  Not once has an owner got on here or should they telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing.  Especially why he did it, because someone didn't like the trade Fayetteville made.  Any fan and especially ones who buy season tickets should be able to express their feelings /opinions about what's going on with the team.  The whole reason this forum even exists.  I don't hate the guy, I just don't like the way he runs things and no matter what, he always has to put his two cents in.  What gets me is he censors and blocks everything on Fayetteville social media, then comes on here trashing fans for their opinions that any fan should be able to express and personally attacks someone and they deleted or edited his comment and he flips his lid and the owner of the forums banned him.  He expects everyone to follow fan conduct policies yet he thinks he can do whatever he wants. That's my problems with him.  Goes around making trouble himself.  I've never ever seen an owner act the way he does.  But that's his right, but doesn't mean people have to like it.  After saying all of that, I hope Fayetteville is around as long as the league is around.  Just don't think it's good business to start alienating fans who would be attending your games over opinions.  

• Like 2

He reminds me of the owner of the New York Knicks James Dolan.

37 minutes ago, Greg81102 said:

Those strong opinions are from experiences we've had with him on here. Even experiences we have had off of here with his fake accounts going around harassing people who he blocks and says he has no time for.  Yet he will go on another team's site, and harass someone he banned unprovoked who he said he has no time for.  If they aren't worth it, why would you feel the need to go after them every chance you get?  We give our honest opinions on here and have been for years.  Not once has an owner got on here or should they telling people what they should and shouldn't be doing.  Especially why he did it, because someone didn't like the trade Fayetteville made.  Any fan and especially ones who buy season tickets should be able to express their feelings /opinions about what's going on with the team.  The whole reason this forum even exists.  I don't hate the guy, I just don't like the way he runs things and no matter what, he always has to put his two cents in.  What gets me is he censors and blocks everything on Fayetteville social media, then comes on here trashing fans for their opinions that any fan should be able to express and personally attacks someone and they deleted or edited his comment and he flips his lid and the owner of the forums banned him.  He expects everyone to follow fan conduct policies yet he thinks he can do whatever he wants. That's my problems with him.  Goes around making trouble himself.  I've never ever seen an owner act the way he does.  But that's his right, but doesn't mean people have to like it.  After saying all of that, I hope Fayetteville is around as long as the league is around.  Just don't think it's good business to start alienating fans who would be attending your games over opinions.  

From what I have seen and from my interactions, I find him to be generally nice, but I haven't experienced what you guys say you have experienced. Just giving my two cents. 

38 minutes ago, Mark L. Richland said:

From what I have seen and from my interactions, I find him to be generally nice, but I haven't experienced what you guys say you have experienced. Just giving my two cents. 

I never had a problem with him either until he came on the forums and went off and got banned.  Then blocked me from everything Fayetteville or his personal accounts like it was going to hurt my feelings, when I never said anything to him accept tell him not to personally attack someone and I had nothing to do with him getting banned.  Not even getting into what he does on Facebook with all his fake accounts.  All I'll say is I've never met someone who will go out of their way to screw with someone that's so unimportant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

He reminds me of the owner of the New York Knicks James Dolan.

You're are exactly right.  The only owner I can think of that's anything like him.  Kicking one of his most popular players Charles Oakley out for being critical of how the team is doing. If that wasn't enough run him through the mud by saying you hope he gets the help Oakley needs, throwing light on his former drug problem. Banning fans for having signs and telling Dolan to sell the team.  I couldn't have made a better comparison myself.

• Like 1

I never realized the guy got banned.  I figured he just coming here.  He never seemed that bad to me on here, but some of the personal stories folks had about him are bad if true.

Time will tell how all 10 teams weather this storm.  Fayetteville has a hard deadline of April 1st on making decisions about unused tickets.

Then on April 1st-3rd they have promoted a (not surprising) "yard sale" of merchandise & used equipment in the Crown parking lot. 🏷 Better pray that equipment has been sterilized thoroughly and that April doesn't bring showers! 🌧🌧🌧 

2 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

I never realized the guy got banned.  I figured he just coming here.  He never seemed that bad to me on here, but some of the personal stories folks had about him are bad if true.

I don't know the complete story of why or what happened.  I'm just talking on the part that I seen.  I had no input on the whole situation.  The owner of the forums has the right to do whatever he wants.  I'm not questioning why Fayetteville banned me from social media and haven't questioned why Chuck was banned from here.  They are the owners and can do whatever they feel the need to do on their own sites. If it was up to me everyone would be a big ole hockey family with no squabbling between fans and owners at all, and everyone would be at the hockey games on the weekends.  Unfortunately that's not up to me.  But I do appreciate our owners in Roanoke don't take everything I say and turn it into me hating on the team.  I'm a fan and love our team.  I might not always be happy about some decisions personnel wise or how we are playing.  That doesn't mean I hate the team or disrespecting anybody.  But as a fan you should be able to talk about your team without everyone taking everything so personal whether it's good, bad, or a disagreement between two fan bases we had in Fayetteville's last home game against Roanoke.  I might not agree with you, but I'm going to be civilized and not attack somebody over it.  Most of it was just joking with ya'll calling Fayetteville fans soft.  That was just some friendly banter. 

• Like 2

"I'm a fan and love our team.  I might not always be happy about some decisions personnel wise or how we are playing.  That doesn't mean I hate the team or disrespecting anybody.  But as a fan you should be able to talk about your team without everyone taking everything so personal"

I believe the same. What took me by surprise 2 years ago when the Marksmen put a putrid product on the ice and a few people came on here to express our feelings. Personally, I never thought the team owner or players or anyone connected to the team would give 2 hoots as to what some random person would have to say on this forum whether it be good or bad.  Before you know it we were being called haters. Nothing could've been further from the truth.  I did learn though that SPHL hockey is suppose to be about the experience-- that is until your team starts winning and then it becomes about winning.

• Like 1

It IS about the experience. However, since minor league sports are a smaller venue and more community oriented, part of that experience can be affected off the ice or field by the players, staff, or team management - more so than major league sports. With social media thrown in the mix, it is even more fragile. So to maximize the experience, one would THINK it would be best to take the "high road"...IMHO. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

"I'm a fan and love our team.  I might not always be happy about some decisions personnel wise or how we are playing.  That doesn't mean I hate the team or disrespecting anybody.  But as a fan you should be able to talk about your team without everyone taking everything so personal"

I believe the same. What took me by surprise 2 years ago when the Marksmen put a putrid product on the ice and a few people came on here to express our feelings. Personally, I never thought the team owner or players or anyone connected to the team would give 2 hoots as to what some random person would have to say on this forum whether it be good or bad.  Before you know it we were being called haters. Nothing could've been further from the truth.  I did learn though that SPHL hockey is suppose to be about the experience-- that is until your team starts winning and then it becomes about winning.

Is it all somehow less pure if it is about the experience of winning?

16 minutes ago, AuburnAL said:

Is it all somehow less pure if it is about the experience of winning?

No, but it's a lot more enjoyable when you're winning.  Playoff hockey with everything on the line is the best and most exciting as hockey gets and this year everybody missed out on it.  Which sucks.  I'm just hoping teams can make it through financially without folding and after no postseason this year it will be even more exciting next year for teams to make it.  Might even make a few who was prepared to retire after the season to maybe come back for one last season since it ended so abruptly this season.  Not much fun having a longer off-season.  I've heard rumors a few ECHL teams are in trouble financially, so I'm guessing this may have a huge impact on quite a few hockey franchises.  Especially FPHL, SPHL, and ECHL.

1 hour ago, Greg81102 said:

No, but it's a lot more enjoyable when you're winning.  Playoff hockey with everything on the line is the best and most exciting as hockey gets and this year everybody missed out on it.  Which sucks.  I'm just hoping teams can make it through financially without folding and after no postseason this year it will be even more exciting next year for teams to make it.  Might even make a few who was prepared to retire after the season to maybe come back for one last season since it ended so abruptly this season.  Not much fun having a longer off-season.  I've heard rumors a few ECHL teams are in trouble financially, so I'm guessing this may have a huge impact on quite a few hockey franchises.  Especially FPHL, SPHL, and ECHL.

Seems true.  Thus far based on stuff posted here that the teams have issued Huntsville and Macon have given positive signals they’ll definitely be back next season.  Has anyone seen anything stated as a definite from other franchises?