SPHL News Ticker

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Sign in to follow this  
SouthernHockeyGirl

Macon Mayhem get new Ownership group

Posted (edited)

I did not hear the release this morning, so I do not know much about it. If this is the reason they renewed the lease, it is a good move. I do have mixed emotions about it, because we have seen local hockey ownership before referring to the CHL Macon Whoopee. And even though this is a much different group, all former CHL fans on here know what happened to them. I just wonder if as a collective group they have as deep a pocketbook as the Kerzners had. Obviously, they were losing money or they would not have sold them. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

Edited by Mayhem_Fan

3 of the 5 have very deep pockets, that's something I know for a fact. The GM is probably being kept around, because he's got contacts throughout the league, IMO

That is good and local ownership may work. I had to refresh my memory a bit and it was not the local ownership's fault the CHL/ECHL Macon Whoopee failed. The CHL merged with the WPHL and the increased travel would have killed them. So, Macon moved to the ECHL and the increased operating costs lead to their relocation to Lexington KY. The attendance was dropping a little each of the last 3 seasons, but it was still much better than it is now. 

As of this morning, I found out what one of the changes is and it should help with the attendance.

Just now, Mayhem_Fan said:

As of this morning, I found out what one of the changes is and it should help with the attendance.

FREE BEER!!!  :drunk:

18 hours ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

That is good and local ownership may work.

I certainly hope so. However....(there's always a however)....another key to success that many organizations fail to realize the value of is having some local STAFF members too! You can't always "graft in" experienced talent from other areas of the country and expect them to understand the local economy or fan base. I've seen many "qualified" employees hired via Glassdoor, Indeed, or other online methods that didn't have a CLUE how the city they moved to actually worked - and ultimately they are doomed from day one. Of course, if they choose to LEARN, then that's great, but each city is different. Each state is different. Each economy is different.

If staff or owners CHOOSE to stick their head in the sand about exactly what TRULY works in a community, they will continue to see lackluster attendance and find corporate partnerships hard to secure. Why this is the case is beyond me. It would make sense to yoke the strength of the loyal fans and local businesses that want to help BUILD your organization - instead of ruining relationships and damaging long time supporters. Here's hoping that the new local owners in Macon understand this concept and build a strong, stable organization that other teams can learn from.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

another key to success that many organizations fail to realize the value of is having some local STAFF members too! You can't always "graft in" experienced talent from other areas of the country and expect them to understand the local economy or fan base.

Agreed. That was the case last year. All of the staff who dealt with the public were from Georgia. The staff shown on the team website has not been updated and I have not kept up with any off-season changes which may or may not have happened so I do not know about this upcoming season.