SPHL News Ticker

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Wide variety of things

1. Why is Roanoke selling all of their merchandise, including Jersey's at half price?  Are they re-branding? Not coming back? 

2. How is everyone feeling about there even being a season?  The SPHL obviously can't survive without fans and here in Virginia I don't think Northam has OK'd anything on indoor entertainment such as sporting events, concerts etc.

3. If the RYD can't play this winter will they return at all?

4. Will the SPHL survive? 

2 hours ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

1. Why is Roanoke selling all of their merchandise, including Jersey's at half price?  Are they re-branding? Not coming back? 

2. How is everyone feeling about there even being a season?  The SPHL obviously can't survive without fans and here in Virginia I don't think Northam has OK'd anything on indoor entertainment such as sporting events, concerts etc.

3. If the RYD can't play this winter will they return at all?

4. Will the SPHL survive? 

1.  That's curious, but I suspect they need any cash they can get.

2.  Not good.  Too many markets in areas with questionable ability to return.

3.  Probably not.

4.  Hard to say no, but the pendulum seems to be swinging that direction for the first time.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:57 PM, Upper Deck Larry said:

1.  That's curious, but I suspect they need any cash they can get.

2.  Not good.  Too many markets in areas with questionable ability to return.

3.  Probably not.

4.  Hard to say no, but the pendulum seems to be swinging that direction for the first time.

The news just did a quick story on the Berglund center, they said they would have small events and no large event ( games, concerts) for the foreseeable future.

• Sad 2

Events at the Crown in Fayetteville are questionable too thanks to Governor Cooper. Everyone has to do what is best for them, but I am sure some will hesitate to buy merchandise and tickets not knowing the future of the league and/or their team. Who would have ever thought this would be an issue a year ago? 🥺

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Events at the Crown in Fayetteville are questionable too thanks to Governor Cooper. Everyone has to do what is best for them, but I am sure some will hesitate to buy merchandise and tickets not knowing the future of the league and/or their team. Who would have ever thought this would be an issue a year ago? 🥺

I'm not gonna be purchasing anything, including tickets until there is a little bit clearer path forward.  We've been through this with the Express and Vipers, not getting burned again.  I hope things workout however it's not a smart investment right now to purchase tickets or merchandise, I think it's somewhat telling of the future that they're offing all their merchandise at half the cost.  

Edited by HockeyRoanoke
  • Sad 1

From what I've heard, even if games are able to be played (in October or later), some of the venues aren't going to allow fans. Minor league teams can't function like that. Businesses won't get any revenue advertising to empty seats, so why be a corporate sponsor/partner? No fans to sell merchandise or raffle tickets to. How could they pay salaries, rent, travel expenses, etc.? So much is still uncertain. Not just in hockey, but other sports and entertainment. Hoping for a turnaround in this chaos soon so people can get back to some kind of normal. 

1 hour ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

... I think it's somewhat telling of the future that they're offing all their merchandise at half the cost.  

Trading inventory for cash flow is a common financial action for struggling sports teams & other low margin businesses trying to survive.  And SPHL teams are always struggling, but more so than usual this summer.  Good luck to the RYD and the other 9 teams.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

From what I've heard, even if games are able to be played (in October or later), some of the venues aren't going to allow fans.

I L L I N O I S

But yeah, QC and Peoria are 1000% either attempting another Icegators scenario and hibernating, or going to have to die at this point. Roanoke might have a chance, but that looks shaky. Fayetteville is another scenario also with how the Governor and Lt. Governor are fighting each other. Indiana looks semi-stable, so I guess Evansville has a good chance to play.  Only teams that look safe are Huntsville, Birmingham, Pensacola, Knoxville and maybe Macon.

Edited by Mark L. Richland
added Fayetteville and Evansville
  • Sad 1

Off season is usually just anticipation for training camp & season openings. Now, it is just a holding pattern of not knowing if there will even BE a season...and if so, when and how different will the fan experience be? :dizzy:

5 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

From what I've heard, even if games are able to be played (in October or later), some of the venues aren't going to allow fans. Minor league teams can't function like that. Businesses won't get any revenue advertising to empty seats, so why be a corporate sponsor/partner? No fans to sell merchandise or raffle tickets to. How could they pay salaries, rent, travel expenses, etc.? So much is still uncertain. Not just in hockey, but other sports and entertainment. Hoping for a turnaround in this chaos soon so people can get back to some kind of normal. 

I think we are all wanting normal, begging for it actually.  But with no fans they can't even get it off the ground.  I'm honestly waiting for the dreaded tweet that the RYD have suspended operations, if we're being honest that has a better chance of happening than an actual season as it stands today. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HockeyRoanoke said:

I'm honestly waiting for the dreaded tweet that the RYD have suspended operations, if we're being honest that has a better chance of happening than an actual season as it stands today. 

Agreed and also why I completely understand fans and/or sponsors who won't commit resources to any team at this point.

2 hours ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

A 1000% huh? He must have a crystal ball no one else has. 😕

The state has been the most lock down heavy of all the SPHL states. There is no way they allow a season to happen.

50 minutes ago, Mark L. Richland said:

The state has been the most lock down heavy of all the SPHL states. There is no way they allow a season to happen.

A wild card was shuffled into the Illinois Coronavirus response deck just yesterday, with Gov. Pritzker announcing establishment of 11 regions which will be allowed to set their own pandemic controls: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/illinois-divided-into-11-separate-regions-for-coronavirus-response-pritzker-announces/2305584/.  Just a glimmer of hope for Peoria & Moline to decide the fate of their own business communities.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

A wild card was shuffled into the Illinois Coronavirus response deck just yesterday, with Gov. Pritzker announcing establishment of 11 regions which will be allowed to set their own pandemic controls: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/illinois-divided-into-11-separate-regions-for-coronavirus-response-pritzker-announces/2305584/.  Just a glimmer of hope for Peoria & Moline to decide the fate of their own business communities.

Huh, I did not hear about this. Rock Island and Peoria are in the same region, so now its a waiting game to see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

It pays? If so, I have been missing out on my checks. Can I get them made retroactive? 🤑

Good question! Maybe our forum fortune teller can look into that crystal ball of his and let us know. 🤣

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

It pays? If so, I have been missing out on my checks. Can I get them made retroactive? 🤑

Your money is safe with Volstate ... not to be confused with: "You're in Good Hands with Allstate®."

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

Good question! Maybe our forum fortune teller can look into that crystal ball of his and let us know. 🤣

At least @ me smh

But no, @SouthernHockeyGirl will not get those checks anytime soon.

• Haha 1

1. They are 100% liquidating anything they possibly can and bracing for not being able to play until December/January. 

2. If there's no fans in the stands, there won't be a season. Same with the AHL and ECHL. Those leagues at least have some NHL owned teams, so they can probably scrape by. 

3. If the SPHL doesn't play this year, I maybe see the McGinns staying in, but the likely scenario is that no, they don't make it. I'd say it's 60-70% likely they fold. 

4. If 2 and 3 happen, then no, they don't, not unless they try to get it on better streaming services or local networks. 

You mandate masks be worn at all times in public places, then you have a path forward to opening up as normal again. If not, well, worst case scenario happens and we'll probably lose the team. The Sox are fortunate enough to be owned by Boston, so they're not going anywhere. 

3 hours ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

1. They are 100% liquidating anything they possibly can and bracing for not being able to play until December/January. 

2. If there's no fans in the stands, there won't be a season. Same with the AHL and ECHL. Those leagues at least have some NHL owned teams, so they can probably scrape by. 

3. If the SPHL doesn't play this year, I maybe see the McGinns staying in, but the likely scenario is that no, they don't make it. I'd say it's 60-70% likely they fold. 

4. If 2 and 3 happen, then no, they don't, not unless they try to get it on better streaming services or local networks. 

You mandate masks be worn at all times in public places, then you have a path forward to opening up as normal again. If not, well, worst case scenario happens and we'll probably lose the team. The Sox are fortunate enough to be owned by Boston, so they're not going anywhere. 

I agree with the Mask, I know others may feel differently and that's OK but if wearing a mask now means we can have normal again in late fall then im down