SPHL News Ticker

Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

HockeyRoanoke

Wide variety of things

On 7/16/2020 at 9:56 AM, JMC-STL said:

Trading inventory for cash flow is a common financial action for struggling sports teams & other low margin businesses trying to survive.  And SPHL teams are always struggling, but more so than usual this summer.  Good luck to the RYD and the other 9 teams.

Yeah, I already shopped the Rivermen "Blowout Sale."  I was NOT blown away by their prices, not unlike the summer merch sales they've had for years in their various reincarnations.

1 hour ago, JMC-STL said:

Yeah, I already shopped the Rivermen "Blowout Sale."  I was NOT blown away by their prices, not unlike the summer merch sales they've had for years in their various reincarnations.

Yep, didn't see any SPHL 2019-2020 regular season championship merch, much less any SPHL playoff championship merch from ANY season! 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Personally I wouldn't wear Rivermen (or some other teams) merchandise if you gave it away for free. 🤣🤣🤣

I'm a fan of the game, not of an individual team.  As long as we both enjoy the sport, there's room for both of us along with all the others ... 6 feet apart.

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 9:23 PM, HockeyRoanoke said:

I agree with the Mask, I know others may feel differently and that's OK but if wearing a mask now means we can have normal again in late fall then im down

Yeah, the masks are a bit inconvenient now, but if it can get us over this hump quicker and start resuming life as usual in 4-8 weeks (as the virologists claim), then hey I'm all for it. Even if the detractors are correct, it's not like it actively harms anyone else, so it takes literally no effort on my part. If that makes me a "sheep", so be it. I've been called worse names. 

Anyway, onto more on topic hockey news, apparently the team has been selling off all the backstock because they're doing a rebrand. I'm not sure how far it goes, but they will be getting new unis next season, and I would imagine it probably means a new or modified logo as well. It's kind of sad since I was just getting to appreciate our current look, but it was a bit too busy. Royal blue, powder blue, athletic gold, and red don't go together at all, and maybe it's time they looked a little more intimidating out there. I guess if they're willing to spend the money to do a rebrand, it likely means they're invested and in it for the long haul, which is good news. 

• Like 1

Quick update to question #1,  the Dawgs confirmed on Twitter Monday that there are new uniforms coming in 20-21. So it’s not entirely a liquidation of assets. They had the longest unchanged design in the league at 4 seasons so not surprising. Low minor teams frequently change designs to drive sales.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I think this is it for hockey in Roanoke. 

They're doing a rebrand. Apparently the McGinn's have $$$

1 hour ago, LeftySlammer92 said:

They're doing a rebrand. Apparently the McGinn's have $$$

I don’t really get why they’re rebranding already. 

2 hours ago, Canucks13 said:

I don’t really get why they’re rebranding already. 

Read @Theoriginalalex's post above (and below, to emphasize what he wrote):

On 7/21/2020 at 11:32 AM, Theoriginalalex said:

Quick update to question #1,  the Dawgs confirmed on Twitter Monday that there are new uniforms coming in 20-21. So it’s not entirely a liquidation of assets. They had the longest unchanged design in the league at 4 seasons so not surprising. Low minor teams frequently change designs to drive sales.

Bob McGinn said everything is fine. Given his track record of talking about the team I would say things are probably not fine.