Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or LOGIN http://sphlforums.com/login/

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Five teams out. Season still set for Dec. 26th.

1 hour ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

Sometime in the next few days. LOL The season is 2 months away. Anyone with a half a brain could have figured out that was coming. The mere fact an idiot like you did proves that. BTW I am done interacting with you, because it is a complete waste of time. Goodbye!

Bye son! Ill be out at the store for a long while! 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing is certain. It'll be another season that Peoria doesn't hoist the Cup! 🤣🤣🤣

There are and will be plenty of comments to go around from those fans whose teams are sitting out the 2020-2021 season 😂

Speaking of the forums, I hope we do not lose anyone from any of the 5 fan bases whose teams have been put on hiatus.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, JMC-STL said:

But NOW you've got five teams' worth of SPHLforums members flush with savings from the game tickets they won't be purchasing.  What better way to spend their new-found wealth than a donation to the 2020/21 Season Fund Drive:thumbsup2:

Thank you for the promo but I'm more worried about the league itself.  This is going to be very hard to come back from

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

Speaking of the forums, I hope we do not lose anyone from any of the 5 fan bases whose teams have been put on hiatus.

There are and will be plenty of comments to go around from those fans whose teams are sitting out the 2020-2021 season 😂

Edited by PlannedObsolescence
trying to play nice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Volstate said:

Thank you for the promo but I'm more worried about the league itself.  This is going to be very hard to come back from

Honestly, I think Roanoke is done

There is no telling how the next 12 months will fully shake out, but one thing is for sure. The SPHL "as we know it" will never be the same. Minor league hockey will survive in some form but which teams, their locations, and how they are put together to compete is yet to be determined. Whole situation is so sad for so many people who love the sport and need a fun outlet for their families. 

2 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

There is no telling how the next 12 months will fully shake out, but one thing is for sure. The SPHL "as we know it" will never be the same. Minor league hockey will survive in some form but which teams, their locations, and how they are put together to compete is yet to be determined. Whole situation is so sad for so many people who love the sport and need a fun outlet for their families. 

Sad situation 

3 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

A friend of mine has been saying since COVID began that it would simply speed up changes already destined in our society. Things like telework and curbside pickup. Unfortunately, I’ve believed for years that minor league sports were a dying industry. So many fans I know would rather watch the big leagues on TV. Thus, I fear minor league hockey will permanently shrink, similar to what minor league baseball went through during the 1950’s as MLB games were widely available on TV and radio.

Here is another possibility. What if Joe Biden wins the election and that is very possible? He could impose a nationwide shutdown of all nonessential businesses or something like that. That would be the end for everybody. We do not know what he might do if he wins. I hope it does not happen, but there is a chance the upcoming season will not make it to February. 

1 hour ago, Theoriginalalex said:

A friend of mine has been saying since COVID began that it would simply speed up changes already destined in our society. Things like telework and curbside pickup. Unfortunately, I’ve believed for years that minor league sports were a dying industry. So many fans I know would rather watch the big leagues on TV. Thus, I fear minor league hockey will permanently shrink, similar to what minor league baseball went through during the 1950’s as MLB games were widely available on TV and radio.

I think the opposite for minor league sports.  The highest levels of professional sports have been busy chasing away many of their customers for various reasons.  Minor league sports can adapt and step in to pick up those fans' dollars or react poorly and let those dollars go to other entertainment avenues.

19 minutes ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

Here is another possibility. What if Joe Biden wins the election and that is very possible? He could impose a nationwide shutdown of all nonessential businesses or something like that. That would be the end for everybody. We do not know what he might do if he wins. I hope it does not happen, but there is a chance the upcoming season will not make it to February. 

Minor league hockey is the least of our worries if national shutdowns are instituted.  That's the beginning of a serious split in our country that will be something we've not seen in a long time.  That would solidify the divide in ideology in our country.

1 minute ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

Minor league hockey is the least of our worries if national shutdowns are instituted.  That's the beginning of a serious split in our country that will be something we've not seen in a long time.  That would solidify the divide in ideology in our country.

I was just trying to limit the scope to hockey, but you are right. Minor league hockey will be the least of our worries.

Another thought - and I certainly don't WANT this to happen, BUT.....

Say someone attends an SPHL game in one of the five cities playing. Later they contract COVID-19. The medical professionals ask where they have been recently (i.e., large crowds, public places, overseas....) and they mention the HOCKEY GAME they attended. Boom!!! Whether they did truly contract it there is a moot point. It could easily be deemed as the source. Then...the person finds a money hungry, opportunistic attorney that uses that diagnosis & scenario as grounds to FILE A LAWSUIT against the facility, the team, the league, the county, etc. claiming they knowingly put their health at risk. Believe me, it can (and most likely WILL) happen! Then guess what? It'll have a huge ripple effect throughout the league - thus ending the season anyway.

Again, I'm NOT hoping it happens, just stating that based on pass experience with people and attorneys, it could very EASILY happen! Take it to the bank.

18 minutes ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Another thought - and I certainly don't WANT this to happen, BUT.....

Say someone attends an SPHL game in one of the five cities playing. Later they contract COVID-19. The medical professionals ask where they have been recently (i.e., large crowds, public places, overseas....) and they mention the HOCKEY GAME they attended. Boom!!! Whether they did truly contract it there is a moot point. It could easily be deemed at the source. Then...the person finds a money hungry, opportunistic attorney that uses that diagnosis & scenario as grounds to FILE A LAWSUIT against the facility, the team, the league, the county, etc. claiming they knowingly put their health at risk. Believe me, it can (and most likely WILL) happen! Then guess what? It'll have a huge ripple effect throughout the league - thus ending the season anyway.

Again, I'm NOT hoping it happens, just stating that based on pass experience with people and attorneys, it could very EASILY happen! Take it to the bank.

Yeah as lawsuit happy as some folks are, I can see that happening as well. Hopefully, the teams and the league have some kind of legal protection against such lawsuits that will stand up in court. 

6 hours ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

I was just trying to limit the scope to hockey, but you are right. Minor league hockey will be the least of our worries.

Mayhem, I wasn't trying to turn it political either, but at least half of this nation is not going to continue having what it loves taken away.  It doesn't matter if it's hockey, church, dinner with friends, movies, or family reunions.

2 minutes ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

Mayhem, I wasn't trying to turn it political either, but at least half of this nation is not going to continue having what it loves taken away.  It doesn't matter if it's hockey, church, dinner with friends, movies, or family reunions.

No worries. I was not saying you were. I was just saying I did not include the other stuff you correctly mentioned, because this is a hockey forum. We agree on this.

22 hours ago, Upper Deck Larry said:

No offense, but would "at least half of this nation" rather risk getting COVID and dying from it (which is permanent) or having any of the activities "taken away" temporarily?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

No offense, but would "at least half of this nation" rather risk getting COVID and dying from it (which is permanent) or having any of the activities "taken away" temporarily?

Not even entertaining that debate.  Sorry.

On 10/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

One thing is certain. It'll be another season that Peoria doesn't hoist the Cup! 🤣🤣🤣

Oh she stuck that knife deep inside @JMC-STL and twisted it!  🤣🤣

On 10/7/2020 at 9:44 AM, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Because minor league sports are the "small business" of sports. No one cares about small businesses, as long as the corporate giants survive