Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or LOGIN http://sphlforums.com/login/

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

GDT - Knoxville @ Fayetteville

• MacGuy unpinned this topic

The two teams looked evenly matched to me.  Fayetteville's goalie, Murray made 6 to 8 excellent saves to keep his team in the game.  I'm concerned about Hauswirth.  He looks slow to me- hopefully he's playing through an injury and he'll come around soon..

Alex Murray definitely kept Fayetteville in the game. With only five defensemen, Hauswirth was having to play defense last night. He made some great saves and redirects. Max Cook seemed quite rusty, but I'm sure he will find his stride soon. Knoxville, like Peoria, didn't play up their usual "physical style" of play. Some good checks from both teams, but pretty boring game...and there was no WAY there were 1,191 people in attendance at the Crown.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Alex Murray definitely kept Fayetteville in the game. With only five defensemen, Hauswirth was having to play defense last night. He made some great saves and redirects. Max Cook seemed quite rusty, but I'm sure he will find his stride soon. Knoxville, like Peoria, didn't play up their usual "physical style" of play. Some good checks from both teams, but pretty boring game...and there was no WAY there were 1,191 people in attendance at the Crown.

I was surprised by the low attendance. There was only a couple of HS football games in the area, I believe. Chilly but good weather. Not sure what is going on. Maybe tonight with the 6:00 start more people will show up.

Does anyone else think the goalie, Murray should've been credited with an assist on the 3rd FAY goal.  The way I remember it Murray cleared the puck to Mazurek. Mazurek took the puck down the ice and blasted a shot between the eyes of the goalie, the rebound went off the boards to McCormick who then scored.  Mazurek got the only assist. I'd like to see a replay just to see where I went wrong.  I guess the score keeper can determine that the goalies pass "did not assist" in the goal. 

4 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

Knoxville has no physical style of play this year.  They have almost no one that will hit anyone, much less get more physical than hard checking.  Knoxville will struggle mightily this year.  They have significant problems and shortcomings.

1 hour ago, Make Marky GM said:

Does anyone else think the goalie, Murray should've been credited with an assist on the 3rd FAY goal.  The way I remember it Murray cleared the puck to Mazurek. Mazurek took the puck down the ice and blasted a shot between the eyes of the goalie, the rebound went off the boards to McCormick who then scored.  Mazurek got the only assist. I'd like to see a replay just to see where I went wrong.  I guess the score keeper can determine that the goalies pass "did not assist" in the goal. 

This was the 3rd goal.....but video doesn't start back far enough to show Murray clearing the puck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Make Marky GM said:

I was surprised by the low attendance. There was only a couple of HS football games in the area, I believe. Chilly but good weather. Not sure what is going on. Maybe tonight with the 6:00 start more people will show up.

I can see some people don't go because of football but like you said most of it was over here in Roanoke too and it's still low on attendance on Friday nights compared to Saturdays.  I think people are just warn out after working all week and people are more likely to go out on Saturday nights after resting up on Fridays.  

• Like 1

I think the more passive style that hockey has went to at the higher levels has made it to the sphl and in my opinion it isn't going to go well here. I'm not saying I want to see bench clearing brawls at every game but your average fan isn't going to go to many games watching 5'9 160 pound guys skating around in circles. That's just my opinion 

• Like 3

Update: I went back to check the official box score on the SPHL site just now and they are now showing goalie Alex Murray with the secondary assist on the goal. Good for the league for getting it right. Congrats to Murray.