Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or LOGIN http://sphlforums.com/login/

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

The future of the Mississippi Riverkings...?

Heard they are more so looking at playing in a rec center not the Landers center but a place similiar to the icearium that has seating for about 650 fans but with acess to add maybe 200 more ..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought "@SippiCanadian" meant he drinks Labatt Blue from a child's training cup. 

@SASRACE: Your source is NOTORIOUSLY unreliable, and as usual he has not provided linked evidence.  So I've added "RUMOR:" to your thread title, and folks here can hopefully add some credible informat

Update : 🤷‍♂️ Again this is on FB, Ive seen nothing official.....

Posted Images

13 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

Looking at the hockey in Memphis (or whatever the real name is) Facebook page, they made a post on Dec 30 saying they were on track for an announcement in December.  Now if you dig down in comments on a pinned post from November, they made a comment last week saying they were on track for a late December/early January announcement.  It seems a bit strange as realistically speaking how many business days were left in December at that point anyways, but it seems they’re real confident of something soon.  

If there is no January announcement at this point, I think the chances of this falling through are pretty high at least for 2020.  Maybe there is another, quieter competing ownership group with another league trying to get a lease?  It’d be nice to see the SPHL actually competing for Southern markets after giving away Columbus.  Maybe the Coliseum is seeing their Facebook group could only gather 600 or so members and that a lot of the comments are requesting the team be SPHL and saying they don’t want an FPHL team?

I don't think you can count on January being a deadline.  They made Battle Creek a team in late July, not even giving them a chance to get expansion picks and just a couple months before the season started.  Maybe they now see how bad they screwed them and change their ways.  But January is way too early.  I say if they can make a deal by the end of the season or the expansion draft they will do it.  Then there is still the possibility they didn't learn from their mistakes of what they did to Battle Creek and would be willing to do it again.  If we have learned anything about the FPHL, it's never say they will or won't do something.

1 hour ago, mitchg73 said:

Heard they are more so looking at playing in a rec center not the Landers center but a place similiar to the icearium that has seating for about 650 fans but with acess to add maybe 200 more ..

Where would it be located?  That sounds pretty small even with FPHL costs unless the tickets are priced a bit high.

2 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

... If there is some issue between the ownership group and venue that can’t be worked out in three months why would it be likely they can work it out at all in the near term?

All three of the examples I cited above were delayed by facility lease wrangling.  "near term" for the FPHL is "just in time" for a sane business model.

The mentor Ohio team plays in a building that only seats 750..the Delaware team same i think 700 seats..battle creek i think 600 ..they are all like rec league buildings ..they have decent size buildings in Columbus.winston Salem,port Huron and. Elmira and Danbury .those are the biggest ,the only teams averaging over 1k are Columbus ,and Winston Salem and Elmira .most teams avg in that 800 to 1000 range..ticket prices are somewhat cheaper than sphl .. the teams have no sleeper buses .so that travel has to be tough.barry soaking owns 6 of the 10 teams ..heard the rent per game in Danville is about 250$ so they are probably making money there even with averaging 6 to 7 hundred fans ..the salary cap is about 2k less than the SPHL per week at 3500 .. so figure up 18 players into 3500 it's not very much ..i don't see battle creek making it the rest of the season they are 0-20 and avg no more than 100 fans per game.

10 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

All three of the examples I cited above were delayed by facility lease wrangling.  "near term" for the FPHL is "just in time" for a sane business model.

Were the examples you cited repeatedly giving dates for lease announcements that they kept missing?

Edited by AuburnAL

2 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

Were the examples you cited repeatedly giving dates for lease announcements that they kept missing?

Yes, as equivalently official as a Facebook page of unknown origin.

Edited by JMC-STL

4 hours ago, JMC-STL said:

Yes, as equivalently official as a Facebook page of unknown origin.

The page is run by a member of the potential ownership team as per said page and https://busleaguehockey.com/2019/11/13/could-hockey-make-a-return-to-memphis-southaven-we-chatted-with-landers-center-and-the-pro-hockey-return-to-memphis-page-to-find-out/.

12 minutes ago, PlannedObsolescence said:

Ah, yes, the "bible"- busleaguehockey.com.  Note that the embedded date of the cited article was 11/13/19- over a month and a half ago.  

The article comes from back when all this started.  JMC-STL said the Facebook page is “of unknown origin.”  It is not.  It is the root of all this.  From what I can recall within a day of someone posting on here about a Facebook page about getting hockey back in Memphis, BLH had contacted the page’s creator who is named in the article and said they were talking with the Landers Center, and the Landers Center told BLH that all questions needed to be referred to the Facebook page at that time.  Search for “Memphis hockey” on Facebook, and the page in question will be one of the first results.

So either it is all a hoax, or this potential ownership group has twice now failed to make a promised announcement while setting the new date to be sometime this month.  Referencing someone’s post above perhaps the group is now pursuing another venue which maybe explains one or both failed announcements.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AuburnAL said:

The article comes from back when all this started.  JMC-STL said the Facebook page is “of unknown origin.”  It is not.  It is the root of all this.  From what I can recall within a day of someone posting on here about a Facebook page about getting hockey back in Memphis, BLH had contacted the page’s creator who is named in the article and said they were talking with the Landers Center, and the Landers Center told BLH that all questions needed to be referred to the Facebook page at that time.  Search for “Memphis hockey” on Facebook, and the page in question will be one of the first results. ...

Fair rebuttal.  Objection overruled.  Your witness ...

• 2 weeks later...