Welcome to SPHL Forums

Welcome to SPHL Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or LOGIN http://sphlforums.com/login/

• Start new topics and reply to other fans of the SPHL!
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Marksmen Protected (Signed) Players Sign Where?

Where will the protected (and/or signed) players sign for the upcoming 20/21 season?

Protected List

G, Blake Wojtala -  :Mayhem:

DJoshua Victor -  :Mayhem:

DMalcolm Hayes :Bulls:

DDerian Hamilton - Signed with Nybro Vikings IF (HockeyEttan)

DChristian Lloyd - Signed with Marseille (France2)

FStathis Soumelidis :Mayhem:

FShane Bednard :Havoc:

FTaylor McCloy - Signed with Corsaires de Nantes (France2)

FBrian Bowen -  :Mayhem:

FLuke Stork - Signed with Reading Royals (ECHL)

FAlec Marsh :IceFlyers:

FTim Kielich - Retired

FDrake Glover -

Announced as Signed

FBryan Arneson :Havoc:

Edited by RapidFire19
Updated
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not know what thread to put this under, but what the heck is he talking about? picking over the teams unable to play players, coaches, and staff like buzzards on a dead body. Huh. Buzzards? In case he hasn't noticed, the SPHL gave not only us but also the other 4 teams who are gonna play this year the right to pick over the teams as he puts it. And what does he think all the players of those teams who have been forced to sit out are supposed to do? Sit out when they can keep playing elsewhere? And A Dead Body? I did not know the Marksmen are dead. I thought they were just sitting out one season. Plus, it it a classless way to put it. I empathize with all the Marksmen fans who will miss seeing your team this year. But, I have heard some stuff about this guy from a source I will not reveal and now I am seeing it for myself with this tweet and a couple of others I have seen. As, I said, I empathize with the fans, but not this guy. Not one bit.

Edited by Mayhem_Fan
  • Like 2

The important thing to remember is that Fayetteville will retain the rights to all their protected players from this year and have them back next year.  Good luck to them all for this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pitch01 said:

The important thing to remember is that Fayetteville will retain the rights to all their protected players from this year and have them back next year.  Good luck to them all for this year.

Does Fayetteville actually retain their rights? Or have they been released as free agents.

The way I have heard it explained and understand it, everyone from the five non-playing SPHL teams is basically a free agent this year to sign elsewhere (SPHL or otherwise). Any team's 13 protected players from last season (2019-20) whose rights were protected THIS season (2020-21) will be protected for 2021-2022 also, should there be hockey in their respective cities. Like all protected lists, that doesn't necessarily mean the players WILL return, just that if they return to the SPHL, they can only sign with the team that protected them.

For example - Brian Bowen was protected by Fayetteville, but Fayetteville isn't playing this upcoming season. He then signed in Macon. He can play there all year, get call-ups, get traded, etc. At the END of this season, he cannot be protected by Macon or any other SPHL team as his rights will revert back to Fayetteville for the 2021-22 season. IF he then (2021-22) wants to play in the SPHL, he has to sign with Fayetteville first. Fayetteville can then let him play or trade him to another SPHL team throughout the season NEXT year. Of course, during his time in Macon, he (like others) may take call-ups to higher leagues, etc. but Macon could not protect him - even if he stays in the ECHL

I hope that helps.....

• Like 1

My question is what happens if any of the players on any of the protected or signed players whose teams are sitting out this season sign with another SPHL team decides for whatever the reason might be that he wants to stay where he is? I can see that happening with the guy from Evansville who just signed with Knoxville. I just wonder what if any say the player has in the process.

It depends. Some coaches and owners take the player's wishes into account and they may offer a trade to the team that owns their rights to keep the player. However, each situation is different. Some coaches and owners could care less WHAT a player wants which, although unfortunate, does happen more than you'd think.

• Thanks 1

Most SPHL player contracts are one-year agreements, so those guys would be free to stay where they played this season (presuming that team wants to sign them for next season).  With no CBA, it's possible the protected players' rights could be used as a trade chip by the releasing team (as SHG just beat me to).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I throw myself on the mercy of the thread. Crap...I accidentally deleted it. Oh well. New phone....😡😡😡 Here it is again just for fun. Rule breaker #2...

JOHN GUSTAFFSON wasn't protected but played 23 games for Fayetteville before getting called up to the ECHL. Starting this season in Birmingham.

The young Swede has been around the SPHL for 2 seasons after college before going up to the E:

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2011-12 Amarillo Bulls NAHL 33 15 23 38 26 20 12 4 1 5 2
2012-13 Merrimack College H-East 31 3 4 7 16            
2013-14 Merrimack College H-East 31 2 4 6 4            
2014-15 Merrimack College H-East 23 2 1 3 23 -3          
2015-16 Merrimack College H-East 13 2 1 3 6 0          
2016-17 Pensacola Ice Flyers SPHL 46 11 12 23 21 9 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Macon Mayhem SPHL 15 5 3 8 6 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs SPHL 26 11 2 13 16 -3 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Norfolk Admirals ECHL 30 6 5 11 18 -12 -- -- -- -- --
2019-20 Norfolk Admirals ECHL 18 3 3 6 14 -3          
2019-20 Atlanta Gladiators ECHL 3 0 0 0 0 -2          
2019-20 Fayetteville Marksmen SPHL 23 8 7 15 8 11        
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mayhem_Fan said:

I do not recall who we received in the trade, but I always did question why we traded him to Roanoke.

Dec 11, 2017: 

Dec 11

TEAM TRANSACTION

Macon Mayhem Gustafsson, John (LW) traded to Roanoke

Macon Mayhem Russell, Paul (LW) acquired in trade from Roanoke

Roanoke Gustafsson, John (LW) acquired in trade from Macon Mayhem

Roanoke Russell, Paul (LW) traded to Macon Mayhem
  • Thanks 1

Oh Yeah, Paul Russell. We blew that deal. 

It was not that we traded Gustafsson to Roanoke, it was that we traded him to anybody. I did not word that post very well.

Edited by Mayhem_Fan

5 hours ago, SouthernHockeyGirl said:

... Back on topic ...any word on training camp dates for other SPHL or any ECHL teams?

How is this back on topic for "Marksmen Protected (Signed) Players Sign Where?"  :unsure:

• Haha 1